Chapter 1

(Its night time and there's a dragon raid. Valka is out and trying to prevent deaths on both viking and dragon sides. She then sees the roof of the chiefs house with a huge splintering hole and a distinct dragonic tail poking out; and knowing her son is in that same house, she rushes to save him with sword in hand.)

Valka POV

I've always believed that the dragons were more than the heartless, soulless beasts that my fellow vikings believe them to be, but I've never been able to show them.

But this... This could change everything

Across the room but unaware of my presence, crouched a dragon, actually playing, with my 15 weeks old son Hiccup; and Hiccup was giggling and cooing right back. The dragon had such a soft look in its reptilian eyes that I knew, everything that we had been told about these creatures was wrong!

Due to my stock at what I was witnessing, my arms slowly went slack and the sword I had in my hand, scraped loudly against the wooden floor in the otherwise quiet room.

The dragon, a stormcutter, if I remember correctly, suddenly turned towards me at the unexpected noise of the sword. The quick movements caused one the dragons sharp talons to nick my sons chin, which he had been quite happily playing with, causing the once happy giggles to turn into pain filled cries.

Seeing the dragon advancing towards me, I readied the sword with both hands, ready to protect myself and my first born at any moment. 
But instead of the dragon attacking, it's giant, owl like head cocked to the side and its black slitted eyes rounded and became filled with curiosity, like it was wondering why I was just standing there and not attacking it.

My sword lowered and it made a soft crooning sound in the back of its throat.

A dragons eyes I realised, as I gazed into them, are captivating. It feels like you are looking into an endless black void with a scattering of stars throughout.

I was so enraptured that I didn't hear the fighting outside nor my husband swiftly making his way up the stairs and flinging his trustworthy axe in between the stormcutter and me in an attempt to distract the dragon.

The dragon came back to itself and growled threateningly at Stoik, letting out a great spew of flame that Stoik quickly dodged. The dragon then quickly turned, gave me a quick glance and then sprang towards Hiccup's cott and snatched the babe, and sprang back into the night sky through the massive hole in the roof. A few dragons followed the stormcutter into the night.

I was in shock. It all happened so quickly and now, as I stood there gazing into the open sky filled with dragons and fire, and surrounded by the blaze, all I could think was "my boy is gone", taken by a dragon.

What do I do now?