Reality

"Dark, yet darker.
The darkness keep growing,
shadows cutting deeper,
photon readings negative.
This next experiment seems very, very interesting.
... What to you two think?"

--

There was no other word to describe this place other than 'void'.

In front of him was nothing, behind him was nothing. No sound, no sight, no people. Once he tried walking just to see where it would get him, but he ended up walked for so long that his legs gave in under him and he still didn't get anywhere. There were only darkness and absolutely no sign of physical life.

Even before he wound up here, there was darkness in his life. Long ago it used to worry him. As a child his imagination had betrayed him by thinking up horrible creatures lurking in the darkness, ready to snatch him as soon as he let his guard down.
Now, he had learned to embrace darkness, because it provided cover from the light. Experience had taught him that the creatures he used to imagine in the dark were really light dwellers all along.

There was however an issue with staying in this interminable darkness was not exactly sustainable. Little by little he could feel his body slowly corrupt into the surrounding phlegm and there was nothing he could do about it. He was stuck, but he was at least still aware.

Sometimes when he closed his eyes, he could somehow see past the darkness to reality. Call it visions, or foresight if you will. Perhaps a state of lucid dreaming even? His vision only reached the Underground, but it was very beneficial. He had been able to locate his lost family, he had seen what happened to the scientists on his team and he could see the remains of his experiments.

He still knew that needed to get out. He needed to get back to reality. There were still things he needed to finish. He was too clever and he already knew too much to be contained here when the poor monsters of the Underground suffered under the naively foolish king Asgore's reign.

There was no question about the king's good intentions, but they wouldn't make up for the things he had done. For how he made monsterkind suffer. It was after all his mistakes that got them banished under the mountain in the first place, and not enough monsters knew about that. Those who did were irrational and eager to forgive.

Unlike the common rabble, he would never forgive and never forget. Which was why he couldn't let go just yet. He needed to make things right. His goal had always been to correct the king's error and restore honor to monsterkind. It was his duty, he'd tell himself.

He was willing to admit that some of the things he had done in the past were a little questionable, but since it was for a good cause, it couldn't be helped. His actions had not affected monsterkind per se, only a few individuals. Including his own family, but he didn't consider that to be cruel, in fact, it showed just how much he was willing to sacrifice for his cause and it was well worth it. 

Right now, he watched another timeline come to its end. Just like this time, the past few times had been peaceful and the fallen human hadn't hurt a single monster. They had shown mercy and met encountering monsters with a friendly attitude. Which is why the barrier was broken. He had seen this happen before and it wouldn't take long before time was reset again. During his exile, it seemed that time itself defected. It didn't move forward as it should. It reached a certain point before it reset, over and over. He had witnessed liberation of his kind, occasional murder, and even genocide.

All because of the human.

It bothered him that no one knew the true nature of this particular human. No one remembered every time they killed someone. Sometimes they'd even practice absolute mercilessness and nobody even remembered.