Chapter 3:

I’d been living there for a few weeks at this point. I was used to going around town and looking for jobs but I still hadn't found anything. The money that I had saved up was slowly dwindling away and I wasn't sure what to do about it. I was doing all that I could.

Above the apartments was a stairway to the roof that anyone could use. Someone had a garden growing up there that I was careful not to mess with but other than that it was pretty much empty. I pulled a lawn chair up there and would read whenever I got the chance and the weather was nice enough. I walked up the stairs in one of the few pairs of shorts that I had with a light green flannel shirt.

When I got to the top of the stairs I stopped short as I stared at the man in front of me. The same boy I had seen the first day that I moved in. I was about to turn around when I realized that he was on the phone. His back was to me and he didn't know that I was there yet.

“I already told you, I’m done with that.” he was saying. I felt like I should have made my presence known but I wasn't sure how.

 As I was about to turn and leave the book slipped from my hand and slammed against the hard ground. He turned around quickly and gave me an angered expression that I barely saw over my shoulder as I darted.