1

CHAPTER | ONE

17 YEARS AGO

After being able to stop an armed robbery from happening inside the Capital West bank, the six extraordinary children were then introduced to the world as the Umbrella Academy- the world's newly discovered heroes. As the news spread, everyone rejoiced and praised them; they felt as though because of them, they were safe from any harm. However, upon returning to the Hargreeves' Mansion, these six children were treated the exact opposite by Reginald, their adoptive father. Though he may have planned for them to succeed- and they did- he acted oblivious of what had happened. Nevertheless, his lack of appreciation did not stop them from celebrating what they have accomplished that day.

They thought of sneaking out to their favorite pizza place, along with their seventh sibling- who was always excluded from all their activities for being ordinary. In spite the fact that their father would not be pleased if he ever found out, they knew that they owed it to theirselves and to the lives that they have saved to celebrate.

Fortunately for them, their plan worked out and they found themselves headed to the restaurant. However, as they walked towards the pizza place, none of them seemed to notice how one of them wasn't as thrilled as they were. They didn't notice how the fifth member of the Umbrella Academy was way behind them- except, of course, Number Seven, who usually was the one behind them all. Five had a lot on his mind and it showed, making it hard for Seven to simply ignore.

"Is there something wrong, Five?" She asked, concerned, as Five's eyes darted towards her- his mind; however, was some place far away. As he disregarded her question, he continued to look at her blankly until a thought came to his mind.

"I have to go. Tell the others I'll just meet them at home." He then replied as he quickly stepped into a space jump and vanished before even giving Seven a chance to say another word. Seven sighed at her brother's sudden disappearance. She was worried about him; however, she knew that there isn't a thing she could do to stop him- or anyone really- from doing whatever they wanted to do. The others did not seem to notice what had just happened, so Seven decided it would be for the best not say anything until they asked questions.

It took awhile for the others to realize, but as soon they entered the restaurant, Number One figured out who was missing. "Where'd Five go?" Number One questioned. "He was just behind us awhile ago-" Number Three replied. But, before she could continue, Number Seven then chimed in. "He said he'll meet us at home." She then explained as the others wondered what exactly Five was up to. However, it didn't completely bother them. "Typical Five." Number Two commented as the others agreed. "Okay, then." Number One then said. It was evident that they couldn't care less. Knowing Five, he's always tried to isolate himself from everyone. He had his own world and have always thought that he was better than all of them, so what he did did not entirely shock them. They all then carried on and ordered pizza; pretended as though Five never disappeared. It's safe to say that they were more concerned about the pizza than their own brother's whereabouts.