3

CHAPTER | THREE

17 YEARS AGO

As he sipped on his coffee, Five continued writing on his notebook. The young employee then quickly stood up and grabbed herself two chocolate-filled doughnuts and placed them on a plate, making Five feel relief- thinking that she was finally done bugging him. However, it didn't last long as he then noticed her immediately settling a stool opposite him and sitting on it; bothering him even more as she placed her plate on top of his part of the counter- crowding his place. "What do you want?" Five then asked as he tried his best not to sound irritated.

"What's it like?" She asked. "To be a part of the Umbrella Academy?" She added- enthusiasm was evident on her tone. Five's eyes did not leave his equations; however, this question made him stop writing. The whole idea of being a part of the Umbrella Academy was astounding, but he realized that the young girl was far more fortunate to not experience what he and his siblings have to go through. "It's fine, I guess." He replied as he hoped that she would ask fewer questions than if he told her the whole truth.

"You guys have powers, right? What's yours?" She then curiously asked. "I'd show you, but then I'd have to kill you." He then blankly said as he faked a smile at her before looking at his notebook once again. "You know what, I bet you don't even have powers.. You're probably not even part of the Umbrella Academy!" She then said, displeased as she rolled her eyes. She was certain that he had no interest in talking with her. Although she wanted to make a new friend and learn more about the Umbrella Academy, she finally realized that he won't let her have any of that.

The young employee then started to stand up- but before she could fully turn her back towards the boy, she felt someone's sudden presence behind her. Once she was able to finally stand up and turn to see who it was, she gasped as confusion filled her. She wondered how the boy was able to go behind the counter that fast. "This isn't me proving anything to you.. I just ran out of coffee." Five, who once sat opposite the young employee, stated as he went ahead to the coffee machine and poured some more coffee on his cup. However, it wasn't his only intention. Though he didn't like to admit it, he did enjoy showing off his abilities.

Five then walked towards her and stepped into a space jump in front of her. He then reappeared behind her- seated on the chair he once sat on. She was in awe of what she had just witnessed. She looked around to see if anyone else saw what had just happened; however, the others seemed to have a world of their own. She then quickly sat down on the stool she sat on not long ago and stared at Five, completely amazed.

"I have a power too!" She then eagerly said, making Five's eyebrows furrow as he thought of the possibility that she could be one of him and his siblings- but, the thought completely vanished as he watched what had happened next.

The young employee then quickly grabbed the two doughnuts on her plate and forced them into her mouth- leaving chocolate stains around her mouth and nose. Five watched in disgust but, nevertheless, once she was able to swallow the doughnuts and started laughing at her own humourless joke, it caused a small grin to form on his mouth- deepening the dimple on his cheek.

Grabbing a tissue, she then wiped off the stains on her face. She continued laughing as she noticed him smile. Although it caused her cheek to turn slightly pink as she was ashamed of what she had done, she felt victorious knowing she was able to cause a change in Five's mood.

She then crumpled the used tissue and settled it down on her plate, thinking she had already wiped off all the chocolate stains on her face. Five then noticed how she missed a spot on her nose and on the corner of her chin. He continued to stare at it, making the young employee chuckle nervously as his stare made her uncomfortable. "What?" She then asked. "You still have chocolate on your nose." He then replied, making her grab the tissue once again and use it to wipe her nose. "Is it gone?" She asked as Five hesitated. "Your chin too." He added. She grabbed the tissue once again and attempted to wipe off the stain- completely missing it. "Is it gone now?" She asked yet again as Five slowly shook his head and pointed towards where she missed. She continued wiping, but she couldn't seem to wipe the stain off completely.