4

CHAPTER | FOUR

17 YEARS AGO

A small blue energized portal appeared inside of Five's room as he then came out of it. Five had been jumping through time for the past few hours since he first learned how to- completely overjoyed by his newest discovery- however, it didn't last long as he then became unsatisfied. He realized how his equations limit him from traveling further than just hours before and after the present time.

For a few days, Five isolated himself from everybody as he figured out what stops him from being able to travel a day and more. Unless the Umbrella Academy was needed, he distanced himself from his siblings to resolve his equations. He refused to seek help from them in order to avoid the word to reach their father. Day and night, he resolved and redone them all by himself- but in spite that, he still was unable to conclude what part of it causes his dismay. In the end, he eventually gave up. He swallowed his pride, knowing he couldn't crack this puzzle all alone. He needed someone. He needed Dolores.

Five then decided to pay the Griddy's Doughnuts a visit with the intention to bump into someone who could help him out with his equations. As he sat down in front of the counter, he pressed the bell ringer and waited for her to come out from the kitchen. However, the lady who did wasn't exactly who he had expected. "Hello, what can I get you?" A familiar middle aged waitress asked him. He stared at her for awhile as he then realized who she was- the lady who interrupted his conversation with Dolores the last time. "Where's Dolores?" He responded with a question as well. The waitress then hesitated. "Who are you?" She curiously asked. Five then paused as he thought of a way to make her tell him where Dolores is. "I-I'm her friend." He then said.

"Ah.. You're the kid she was talking to a few days ago?" She asked as Five then nodded. "That's great! You know that kid barely has any friends." She added as Five continued to nod, not knowing what else to say. "Can you tell me where she is?" He then asked. "Well.. I haven't seen her since the day you were here. She's probably busy now with school or-" She started, but was soon cut off by Five. "So, you don't know where she is?" He then said. "No.." She finally answered his question. Five groaned upon hearing her being completely clueless of Dolores' whereabouts. He then stood up and left the café without a word.

As he walked back home, he was displeased that his equations were still yet to be solved. But fortunately for him, a familiar brunette then caught his attention as he saw her on the other side of the window of a boutique. He then immediately went inside the store- but discreetly as he tried not to appear as a stalker. He averted his eyes from her and towards the clothes as though he was looking to buy something to avoid suspicions. As he walked nearer towards her, he decided to stay behind the other side of the rack that she was on the opposite of. He looked through all the clothes on the rack and took a  closer peek on her. But in spite of being discreet, he was then caught, making him realize that it was her who he had been looking for.

"Well, someone's been missing me." Dolores then sarcastically said as she continued to look through the clothes- her back still faced towards Five, who's eyes finally darted towards her. She then turned to look at him face to face as he plastered on a smile. "Hello, Dolores." He greeted. He certainly did not miss her, however, he was desperate to solve his equations- and she was the only one who had helped him finish his first one. "Awe.. You remembered my name." She said as she placed her hand on top of her chest and acted as though she was touched. "And, you are?" She then asked, still unaware of his name.

"Five. Five Hargreeves." He introduced. "Okay." Dolores blankly replied as she then continued to look through the clothes in the store, making Five confused with her disinterest."What? No follow up questions about my name?" He then asked as he followed her. "Your dad already told the news.. you and your siblings, One, Two, Three, Four, and Six.. I just wasn't sure which one you were." She started. "Why you guys are named with numbers? I don't know.. and I'm sure that's not any of my business now, is it?" She then continued.

Five was shocked at the sudden change of her attitude. The last thing he remembered of her was she was hard to get rid of with all of her meddling questions. "I guess you've learned something from our last conversation." He then replied as Dolores then changed the subject. "Oh My! This is beautiful, don't you think!?" She expressed, holding unto a sleeveless grey sequenced top that she saw hanging on one of the racks.

"How did you solve my equations?" He then bluntly asked as he ignored what she had asked. "What? Your math homework?" Dolores replied as she continued to be dazzled by the top she was holding. "I don't think that type of equation is something they teach in school." He then stated. "I don't go to school." She declared, making Five's eyes widen.

"Then how the heck were you able to finish my equations?!" He then questioned her. "I guess I'm just.. smart." She dithered as she then diverted her attention towards the top again. Five found it strange that she was even able to, let alone, understand what he wrote- however, knowing how she was able to wasn't his main priority at that time. He couldn't careless how she did it. All he needed was her help and she'd be out of his life for good.

"Honestly where are your parents? You're not even old enough to be left alone.. Can you even afford that?" He then continuously asked, changing the topic, making Dolores groan. "Hey! I stopped asking questions already, shouldn't you stop asking too?" She started as she looked at the price and looked away immediately. "Geez.. can't a girl just try on clothes and not buy them?" She hesitatingly said as a thought came to Five.

"I'll get you that if you help me out with something." He then offered, causing Dolores to let out a chuckle. "It's literally fifty dollars for this top alone, I don't think you can afford that either." She doubted him. "Or can I?" He then assured her as he placed out his wallet and held out a fifty dollar bill. "Where'd you get that?" She questioned him. "My dad may be an asshole, but he sure doesn't let us down with our allowances." He then said.

"You'll really spend your money on me?" She then said and acted, once again, as though she was touched. "I said only if you'd help me in return." He clarified. "Math homework again?" She asked. "It's not a math homework!" He clarified. "Whatever. I'm gonna try this on." She then said as she left and went towards the fitting room.