Chapter 1 [Keira]

Three months of hard work and studying finally comes to an end today. Today is my pilot's exam that certifies me to become an airline pilot. Living at this Ramada Inn in Denver has been a struggle eating the same old food, and sleeping in the same old uncomfortable bed.

If I pass my pilots exam today, I will be flying home tomorrow night, after graduation. I have logged in countless hours, studying for today's exam which includes an oral and practical exam. Passing this exam makes me an official pilot for BlueSkies Airlines, a small regional airline.

You usually work for a regional airline before heading over to the big guys such as United, Southwest, Delta, and American. They want you to have many years and hours of experience before you can work for them, which is why I'm here today.

My alarm goes off at 07:30. I hit snoozed the first time it rang. 07:40 arrives, and I still hit snooze on my alarm clock. My alarm goes off the third time at 07:50, I hit snooze again before realizing that the shuttle left at 08:00.

When I realized what time it was I jumped out of bed and quickly dressed into my uniform. My training uniform was black pants with a white button down shirt, with BlueSkies Airlines written on the front. A few minutes later, I grabbed my backpack and ran downstairs where the shuttle picked us up.

When I got to the shuttle stop in front of the hotel, I noticed it was snowing. I forgot to bring a jacket with me. I ran back to my room and grabbed my jacket. I ran back downstairs, and the shuttle was already loading people up. I ran into the shuttle and found a seat at the very front.

A few moments later after sitting down in the shuttle, a friend I met at training, Keira Young, sat down next to me. She was also late for the shuttle because I could tell that she was out of breath. I turned around, looked at Kiera, and began to talk to her.

"Good morning Kiera. I see you are running a little late." I asked.

She turned around to her side and smiled. "Yeah. I kept snoozing my alarm this morning, till it was too late."

"Me too. I got up at 07:50, and I had to go back into my room to grab my stupid jacket. I'm ready to leave Denver."

"Just one more day. Are you ready to go back home to Vegas tomorrow?" Keira asked.

"I am ready to go home. I am so sick of this hotel room". I replied.

"I am too. Let's cross our fingers and hope we pass; I've been studying all night".

"I have too. Would you like to study with me right now, since we have thirty- minutes to get to the training center Keira?"

Keira and I began to quiz each other on the regulations and procedures of the aircraft we've been training on.

I've been talking to Keira since day one of training. We've been hanging out with each other every day since we arrived in Denver three months ago. We've gotten close within these three months; we're practically best friends.

After the thirty-minute drive on the shuttle, we finally arrived at the training center. It took a few minutes longer because of the snow, but we got there right in time to complete our exam.

The BlueSkies Airlines training center was in a large corporate office building. It was the training center for both pilots and flight attendants. The large building had classrooms, simulators, model aircraft of the cabin, and offices.

Once we arrived at the training center, Keira and I sat next to each other in the classroom. The classroom had 20 chairs for the twenty airline pilot trainees. The class consisted of twenty-five males and five females. Everybody made fun of Keira and I for being the class couple, but we weren't going out with each other. People in our class believed we did, but we haven't.