Chapter 4- [Road to Seattle]

The next morning arrives, and it's finally the day I start my new chapter in life. My alarm goes off at 08:00. I turned off my alarm, showered, and changed my clothes. Instead of dressing up in my typical outfit a shirt and jeans, I decided to wear a t-shirt and shorts, due to our long drive.

My sister, Katie, also got the memo not to wear nice clothes. She comes out to the car with a pair of sweats, a tank top, with her hair all messy. I just had to make fun on the way my sister looks, but that's what brothers do.

Today, I also received information regarding the house I'm moving into. Instead of renting my apartment in Seattle, I decided to move into a crew house. Many people may wonder what a crew house was, but it's a large house occupied with pilots and flight attendants for the airlines. I could have commuted daily from Las Vegas, but I thought I would try the crew house first. My landlord, a flight attendant from BlueSkies Emma Wilson, sent me a text welcoming me to the crew house.

Moments after we all gathered outside of my car before we began our two-day journey. My parents were sad to see me move away. I ensured them that I would be coming back, as much as I could. Those are some of the benefits of working for the airlines, free flights.

It was 09:00 we had to hit the road. Everybody took turns giving me kisses and hugs. A few minutes later, we were on the way. Katie and I started our journey on Interstate 15, which went up north through Las Vegas, and Salt Lake City. During our trip, we made several stops. In the first hour of the flight, we decided to take a pit stop at the famous Zion's National Park.

Katie started to climb up a huge red rock by Zions's National Park but had a hard time climbing back down. Something big and tall doesn't look so big and tall till you get to the very top. It's much easier climbing up than down. I started to make fun of her because her face was priceless as she walked down like a crab, down the huge rock.

After we stopped at Zion's National Park, we drove up north four hours, until we reached Salt Lake City. In Salt Lake City, we walked around a plaza called the Temple Square. It was an enormous plaza, with a temple on the center of it. We walked around the colorful gardens and took a picture right in front of the temple. After grabbing lunch in Salt Lake City, we continued to go north into the State of Idaho.

We took another pit stop at Twin Falls, Idaho. Katie and I wondered if there was a waterfall in Twin Falls. We decided to take a detour through the town of Twin Falls, and there was a fall. This fall was called the Shoshone Falls, which consisted of two waterfalls right on top of each other. Katie and I wandered around the falls and found a hiking trail. As we walked around the hiking trail, we saw a moose. You don't typically see a moose around Las Vegas.

When Katie spotted the moose, she continued to walk towards it. Katie exclaimed, "I want to pet it!" Katie got closer to the moose. I immediately yelled, "Stop!" She immediately stopped, stared at me, and looked at me with a perplexed face.

I then told Katie, "You can't get next to that moose. It's dangerous!" Katie laughed and continued to walk towards the moose. As she got closer, I ran towards her and grabbed her by her shoulder. "You can't! These moose may look big and fluffy, but they'll attack you". She backed up, and we walked back towards our car.

Two hours after we left Twin Falls, we decided to rest in Boise. We found the cheapest hotel we could find in town. This part of the trip was already eleven-hours. It was much longer because we decided to make several stops on the way to Seattle.

We walked into the hotel room, and we both crashed. It was a long day of driving, but we are just eight-hours away from The Emerald City.

08:00 hits the next day, Katie and I grabbed breakfast and got back on the road at around 08:30. From Boise, we went west on Interstate 84, which brought us to the beautiful city of Portland Oregon in six-hours.

Katie loves animals, as you can tell from the moose encounter last night. I would treat Katie and take her to the Oregon Zoo. After walking around the zoo for two hours, we decided to cross the Columbia River, to grab some seafood in Vancouver, Washington. We finally made some progress; we made it to the state of Washington.

After we had dinner, we made our way north into Seattle, two and a half hours later. As we approached Seattle, I went on my phone to look for the house I'd be living in. Because I am a new pilot not making the six-figures, I decided to pitch money in and live in a crew house with other pilots and flight attendants.

The crew house was a six bedroom house three miles away from the Seattle-Tacoma airport. I wouldn't call it a house, but more of a crash pad. One person is in charge of having the house under their name, and the occupants pitch money each month. I think this is better than having to pay rent or a mortgage.

We finally arrived at the crew house, which looked terrific. My advisor told me that I would have my very own room because I was assigned a base out of Seattle. Most pilots and flight attendants commute to and from their hometown, but I'll try this base before flying home every day.

As we arrived at the house, Katie and I left our things in the car and knocked on the door. After knocking on the door, a girl answered the door. The girl was wearing a BlueSkies flight attendant uniform, has blue eyes, and brown hair. She was tall, maybe around 6 foot 1. She smiled at the two of us, before acknowledging us to come in. "Hi, you must be Skyler. Come on in". We walked into the house, and the girl asked us to sit on the couch.

"Welcome to your new home. I'm Emma; I'm a flight attendant and the landlord for this house. My roommate and I share this house; she will be in later. Can I get you two some water or soda?" Katie and I shook our head no. "Well great, here is the key to your room; it is the first door on the left, upstairs. Good luck".

After Emma gave me my key, Katie and I walked upstairs. As we approached the door to the room, I unlocked the door. After opening the door, my eyes widen. This room was tiny, smaller than my bedroom in Vegas. It was a plain empty room with a dresser, bunk bed, and dresser. Katie was going to spend the two nights here before she flies back to Las Vegas. She was going to take the top bunk.

After settling into the room, I continued to gather all of my luggage and unpacked. Katie was kind enough to help me unpack my room. After unpacking, we decided to get some shut-eye, especially after today's long trip. I was glad I got to spend some alone time with Katie because we haven't had the opportunity to do this in a long time.

I will miss having Katie around, but I'm ready to start flying planes and living my dream.