Chapter 2

Dani was tense all day a little from withdrawal but mostly from fear of being found out. The couple ounce heavy bag felt like it weighed one hundred pounds as she walked from class to class. No one suspected anything but tonight she had family dinner. Dani knew she had to have a dose before that so she was banking on getting to the bathroom first when she got home. Family dinner was once a week activity in Dani's house and currently everyone was home to brag about their achievements in life while Dani had none. She would count hiding that she was a frequent drug user from her four overbearing sisters as an achievement but she didn't want them to know. Christina, the oldest of the bunch, was talking about some case she worked on recently. Dani was zoning out or in she really didn't know if she was hyper focused or not at all it was so intense. Christina was a clinical psychiatrist and worked in hospitals helping people. The second oldest Katherine was getting her masters in literature and was working on writing her first book and she was in the editing process. She wanted it to be published this summer. Amy, the second youngest was a senior at the same college Dani went and already was a successful painter. She had painted a mural for the city last summer and everytime Dani looked at it, it made her mad. Dani did not know what she wanted to do with life. Christina was looking nervously at her youngest sister. She was talking about a new drug that had hit the street and she was either hallucinating or Dani had, had some. Dani was always the angsty teen of the house but she had not commented anything all dinner and seemed to be quite focused on the centerpiece. She cursed to herself as she noticed Dani's bloodshot eyes making the executive decision that Dani was definitly high. Christina only picked at her food after noticing this and as Dani got up she followed her.
"Your room, now." Christina demanded and Dani did not respond not really paying attention but changed her direction from the living room to her room.

"Dan, why?" Christina asked rummaging through Dani's stuff looking for any drugs. Her sister had been acting strange recently and showed the exact symptoms she was talking about at dinner. "She's pretty." Dani mumbled in return confusing Christina but also making her want answers. Dani was curled in a ball on the bed. Christina knew Dani was bisexual. She accepted it and so did the rest of the family after remembering she still was their Dan Dan after all.
"Who's pretty Dan?" Christina asked sitting next to her high younger sister. Dani snuggled into Christina.
"Lauren, but she's boring." Dani whined making her older sister laugh. Dani was always an adrenaline junkie which made her understand why she got addicted to whatever drug she was on. This Lauren probably was a normal human being that didn't meet the classifications.
"Why is she boring?" Christina asked running her hand through Dani's hair causing her to whine.
"She only talks about work. I tried making conversation today about my crumpled bills." Christina's face fell realizing something. This Lauren must be Dani's dealer.