CHAPTER 7 SOMETHING TO WORK ON

Janet was awake now, very much awake! She took one scared look at the heads of the two men in front, suddenly outlined by a street lamp, and slid quickly down to the floor. She began to tremble.

Peter slipped down beside her. "Don't be frightened. I'll look after you. So long as the men don't know we're here, we're all right."

"But where are they taking us?" whispered Janet, glad that the rattling of the car drowned her voice.

"I've no idea. They've gone down the main street, and now they're in a part of the town I don't know," whispered Peter. "Hallo, they're stopping. Keep down, Janet, and don't make a sound!"

The driver stopped the car and peered out of the open window. " You're all right here," he said to his companion. " No one's about. Get in touch with Q8061 at once. Tell him Sid's place, five o'clock any evening. I'll be there."

"Right," said the other man and opened his door cautiously. Then he shut it again, and ducked his head down.

"What's up? Someone coming?" said the driver.

"No. I think I've dropped something," said the other man, in a muffled voice. He appeared to be groping over the floor. "I'm sure I heard something drop."

" For goodness' sake! Clear out now while the going's good! " said the driver impatiently. " The police will be on the look-out for this car in a few minutes. I'm going to Sid's and I don't know anything at all about you, see ? Not a thing! "

The other man muttered something and opened his door again. He slid out into the dark road. The driver got out on his side; both doors were left open, as the men did not want to make the slightest noise that might call attention to them.

Peter sat up cautiously. He could not see or hear anything of the two men. The darkness had swallowed them completely. In this road the lamp-posts were few and far between, and the driver had been careful to stop in the darkest spot he could find. He had switched head-lights and side-lights off as soon as he had stopped.

Peter reached over to the front of the car and switched them on. He didn't want anything to run into his father's car and smash it. He wished he could drive, but he couldn't, and, anyway, he was much too young to have a licence. What should he do now ?

Janet sat up, too, still trembling. "Where are we ? " she said. " Have those men gone ? "

 " Have those men gone ? "

" Yes. It's all right, Janet; I don't think they're coming back," said Peter. "My word, I wonder who they were and why they wanted to come here in the car ? Talk about an adventure! We were moaning last night because there wasn't even the smell of one, and now here's one, right out of the blue!"

"Well, I don't much like an adventure in the dark," said Janet. " What are we going to do ? "

" We must get in touch with Daddy," said Peter.

"He must be still waiting at the station, unless he's gone home! But we haven't been more than a few minutes. I think I'll try to find a telephone box and telephone the station to see if Daddy is still there."

"I'm not going to wait in the car by myself," said Janet, at once. "Oh dear, I wish we had Scamper with us. I should feel much better then."

"The men wouldn't have taken the car if Scamper had been with us," said Peter, getting out. " He would have barked, and they would have run off to someone else's car. Come on, Janet, get out. I'll lock the doors in case there is anyone else who might take a fancy to Daddy's car!"

He locked all the doors, Janet holding his torch for him so that he could see what he was doing. Then they went down the street to see if they could find a telephone box anywhere.

They were lucky one was at the corner of the very road where they were ! Peter slipped inside, put in four pennies and dialled the railway station.

" Station here," said a voice at the other end.

"This is Peter, of Old Mill House," said Peter. " Is my father at the station still, by any chance ? "

" Yes, he is," said the voice. " He's just collecting some goods. Do you want to speak to him ? Right, I'll ask him to come to the 'phone."

Half a minute later Peter heard his father's voice

Half a minute later Peter heard his father's voice. "Yes? Who is it? You, Peter! But, but aren't you still in the car, in the station yard? Where are you ? "

Peter explained everything as clearly as he could, and his father listened to his tale in amazement. " Well! Two car thieves going off with my car, and not guessing you and Janet were in it. Where are you ? "

"Janet's just asked somebody," said Peter. " We're in Jackson Street, not far from the Broadway. Can you get here, Dad, and fetch the car? We'll wait."

" Yes. I'll get a taxi here in the yard," said his father. " Well, of all the things to happen!"

Janet and Peter went back to the car. Now that they knew their father would be along in a few minutes they no longer felt scared. Instead they began to feel rather pleased and important.

"We'll have to call a Secret Seven meeting about this at once" said Peter. "The police will be on to it, I expect, and we'll work on it too. Ha... what will Susie do now! Who cares about her silly tricks ? Nobody at all! "