CHAPTER 14 A WONDERFUL IDEA

Peter went as quickly as he could to the corner of Old Street and James Street. Yes, there was " Sid's Caf6 " just as Colin had said. What was the time ?

He glanced at his watch six minutes to five. Well, if the man came at five o'clock, he ought just to catch him. Of course, he might come any time after that, that would be a nuisance, because then Peter would have to wait about a long time.

Peter lolled against the corner, watching everyone who came by, especially, of course, the men who went in and out of "Sid's Cafe". They were mostly men with barrows of fruit that they left outside, or drivers of vans, or shifty-looking men, unshaved and dirty.

He got a shock when someone came out of the cafe" and spoke roughly to him.

"Now then, what are you doing here, lolling about ? Don't you dare take fruit off my barrow! I've caught you boys doing it before, and I'll call the police if you do. Clear off! "

" I wouldn't dream of taking your fruit!" said Peter, indignantly, looking at the pile of cheap fruit on the nearby barrow.

"Ho, you wouldn't, would you? Well, then, what are you standing here for, looking about? Boys don't stand at corners for nothing! We've been watching you from inside the shop, me and my mates, and we know you're after something! "

Peter was shocked. How dare this man say things like that to him! Still, perhaps boys in this district did steal from barrows or from fruit-stalls outside shops.

" Go on, you tell me what you're standing about here for," said the man again, putting his face close to Peter's.

As the boy couldn't tell him the reason why he was standing at that corner, he said nothing, but turned and went off, his face burning red. "Horrible man!" he thought. "And I haven't seen anyone yet in the least like that fellow who went off in our car. Of course, all I've got to go on really is his hat and long hair, and a possibly maimed ringer on his right hand."

He ran back home, thinking hard

He ran back home, thinking hard. " After all, that fellow might go to Sid's Place each night and I'd never know him if he had a cap instead of a hat, and had cut his hair shorter. And most of these fellows slouch along with their hands in their pockets, so I wouldn't see his hand either. It's hopeless."

Peter went round to see Colin about it. Jack and George were there, doing their homework together.

" Hallo! " they said, in surprise. " Aren't you watching at Sid's Place?"

Peter told them what had happened. " I don't see how I can go and watch there any more," he said, rather gloomily. " That fellow who spoke to me was really nasty. And how can I watch without being seen ? "

"Can't be done," said Colin. "Give it up! This is something we just can't do. Come on out to the summer-house and see what I've made! We cleared away the firework mess, and I've got something else there now! "

They all went out to the summer-house, with their torches. Colin shone his on to something there, and Peter jumped in astonishment, not at first realizing what it was.

" Gosh! It's a Guy! " he said, in admiration. "What a beauty!"

The guy certainly was very fine. He was stuffed with straw, and wore one of Colin's very old suits. He had a mask, of course, and grinned happily at the three boys. He had a wig made of black strands of wool and an old cap on top. Colin had sat him in a garden barrow, and he really looked marvellous.

"I thought that as we shan't have many fireworks, worse luck, we would have a guy and burn him on a bonfire," said Colin. " I'm making the bonfire heap to-morrow. You can come and help if you like."

The guy seemed to watch them as they talked, grinning away merrily.

" It's a pity he can't watch outside Sid's place! " said Jack. " Nobody would suspect him or bother about him. He could watch for that fellow all evening!"

They all laughed then Peter stopped suddenly and gazed hard at the guy. An idea had come to him, a really wonderful idea!

" I say! I say ! " he said, clutching at Colin and making him jump. "You've given me an idea! What about me dressing up as a guy, and wearing a mask with eye-holes and one of you taking me somewhere near Sid's Cafe ? There are heaps of these guys about now, and nobody would think our guy was real. I could watch for ages and nobody would guess."

" Whew!" said the other three together, and stared at Peter in admiration

Colin thumped him on the back. "That's a wizard idea! " he said. " Super! Smashing! When shall we do it ? "

"Tomorrow," said Peter. "I can rush here and dress up easily enough, and one of you can wheel me off in the barrow, all of you, if you like! What a game! "

" But my mother doesn't like the idea of children taking guys and begging for money," said Colin, remembering. " She says that begging is wrong."

" So it is," said Peter. " My mother says that too, but if we did get any money we could give it to the Sunbeam Society, or something like that. Or the Busy Bees. We won't use it to buy fireworks for ourselves."

"Oh well, that's all right, then!" said Colin. "My word, this is grand! Mind you don't leap up out of the barrow if you see that fellow going into Sid's place, Peter! "

" I'll keep as still as a real guy!" said Peter, grinning. "Well, so long, see you at school tomorrow."