CHAPTER 15 THE PECULIAR GUY

Peter raced home to tell Janet of the new idea. She was so thrilled that she couldn't say a word. What an idea! How super! She stared in admiration at her brother. He was truly a fine leader for the Secret Seven!

Scamper wuffed loudly, exactly as if he were saying " Grand, Peter, splendid idea! "

" I've got something to tell you, too," said Janet, suddenly remembering. "I looked on Daddy's mackintosh, and he has got a button missing; but it's a small one on his sleeve, not a large one like we found. And also it's not quite the same colour, Peter."

"Ah, good! That means it probably was a button that dropped from that fellow's mac! " said Peter, pleased. " Jack will have to take the button, Janet, and work on that clue, if he can! So give it to me, and I'll hand it to him to-morrow."

"I wish we could find out about Q8061," said Janet. " I'm pretty sure it must be someone's telephone number, but if we don't know what exchange it's on, we can't do much about it."

"There's Mummy calling," said Peter. "I bet it's to tell me to do my homework! "

It was of course, and poor Peter found it very difficult indeed to work out arithmetic problems when his head was full of dressing up as a guy!

All the Secret Seven were thrilled to hear of Peter's new plan, and next evening they were round at Colin's to see him dress up. He really did look remarkably good!

He wore Colin's dreadful old suit, which was rather tight, but that didn't matter. He wore a pair of great big boots thrown out by Colin's father. He had a bright red scarf round his neck, and a big old peaked cap over a wig made of black wool.

" You look simply frightful  " said Janet, with a giggle. " Put the mask on now."

Peter put it on, and immediately became a grinning guy, like all the other guys that were appearing here and there in the streets of the town. Scamper took one look at Peter's suddenly changed face, and backed away, growling.

"It's all right, Scamper," said Peter, laughing. "It's me! Don't be afraid."

" You look horrible," said Pam. " I really feel scared when I look at you, though I know you're really Peter. Nobody, nobody could possibly guess you were alive! "

 Nobody, nobody could possibly guess you were alive! "

Peter got into the barrow. "Gosh, it's very hard and uncomfortable," he said. " Got any old cushions, Colin ? "

Colin produced an old rug and three rather dirty garden cushions. These made the barrow much more comfortable. Peter got in and lolled on the cushions in the limp, floppy way of all guys. He really looked extremely guy-like!

The others shrieked with laughter to see him.

"Come on," said Colin at last. "We really must go, or we shan't be there till long past five. Not you girls, it's not a place for you, outside Sid's Cafe."

The three boys set off, taking turns at wheeling Peter in the barrow. He kept making horrible groans and moans, and Jack laughed so much that he had to sit down on a bus-stop seat and hold his aching sides.

An old lady there peered at the guy. " What a good one!" she said, and fumbled in her purse. " I'll give you some money to buy fireworks."

"Oh, any money we get is going to charity," explained Colin quickly.

She gave him a shilling, and then, as the bus came up, waved to them and got on.

" How nice of her! " said George. " A whole shilling. Well, it can go into my Sunbeam Box! "

They went on down the street, and Peter thoroughly enjoying himself! He lolled about, watching everything through the eye-slits of his mask, and made silly remarks in a hollow, guy-like voice that made the others laugh helplessly.

At last they came to Sid's Cafe. The barrow was neatly wedged into a little alcove near the door, from which Peter could see everyone who went in or out.

The boys stood nearby, waiting to see if Peter recognized anyone. If he did, he was to give a sign, and two of the Seven would shadow the man to see where he went, if he happened to come out of the cafe. If he went inside it they were to wait till he came out.

The men going in and out of the eating-house were amused with the guy. One prodded him hard with his stick, and gave Peter a terrible shock. " Good guy you've got there! " said the man and threw sixpence on to Peter's tummy.

" Colin! Jack! You're not to let people prod me like that," said Peter, in a fierce whisper. " It jolly well hurt."

" Well, how are we to stop them ? " said Colin, also in a whisper.

All went well till two young fellows came by and saw the guy sitting there. " Hallo! He's a good guy!" said one. " Nice pair of boots he's got. I've a good mind to take them off him! "

And to Peter's horror, he felt the boots on his feet being tugged hard. He gave a yell, and the young fellows looked extremely startled. They disappeared quickly.

" Cant you look after me better ? " said Peter to the others. "Heave me up a bit on the cushions, those fellows pulled me off."

Colin and George heaved him into a more comfortable position.

" Anyway, you've made quite a bit of money," said George, in Peter's ear. " People think you're jolly good, and we've got plenty of pennies and a few sixpences."

Peter grunted. He was cross with the others, why didn't they guard him from pokes and prods and pullings? Then, quite suddenly, he caught sight of somebody, and stiffened all over.

Surely, surely, that was one of the men who had taken his father's car? Peter stared and stared. Was it ? Oh, why didn't he stand a bit nearer so that he could see ?