7- Beast or Prince?

We had our meal and walked out with Sam. One by one went to their cars greeting each other. I and my two other colleagues were left behind for the last. They had parked their car a bit far away and so, Julie, the owner said she'll go bring it and us to wait. The other girl didn't want her to go alone. So she went after her. I, being cold-hearted, stayed behind with the devil beside me. I was quietly waiting for him to leave.

"Judging by your smile, I guess he was your type?" He said. I didn't turn.

"Maybe. Maybe not." I said. I waited for him to say something but he said nothing so I decided to speak. I turned and said, "What's that to you?"

"Nothing." Expected.

I returned to look forward. "Aren't you gonna leave?"
"What's that to you?" He replied. I smiled and turned to him.

"Nothing."

In the corner of my eyes, I could see his face lit up with a quick smile that disappeared quickly when we heard someone shouting in the front alley.

A woman screamed for help from the front building upstairs. Everyone from downstairs came out and shook their head and went inside.

"What's happening? Why isn't anyone helping her?" I said looking shocked but it seemed like a daily thing for them to just ignore. I was aware of the man behind me but I took a step over to cross the road when he grabbed my hand and put me behind him.

"Wait here. I'll deal with it." He said and went over. I saw him talking to the people downstairs and looking at me before taking the stairs. I dialled 911 and complained about possible domestic violence and asked for immediate help. And then, I did what I was told not to. I crossed the road. I could hear my colleagues shouting my name from the car, I signalled them to wait and walked up the stairs.

"Listen, man, I'm telling you. Put the knife down. I'm not here to fight." I heard his voice. I peeped over the door to see his back to me and a woman shivering near the wall, making me guess the fellow must be in front of Sam.

"I know you. I know who you are."

"Okay man, I'm clear. I'm just saying let the lady leave in peace."

"She's my wife. I could do whatever I want with her." As he talked, Sam moved a bit away allowing me to see the guy's face. He was in his thirties. Maybe. Two buttons kept his shirt in place, he had no shoes. The room was a mess. I looked at the lady shivering and sitting on the floor. She'd been beaten. Her forehead, hands, legs all bore wounds and some parts were blue. She wore a flowery dress which was now torn in all possible ways. I slowly walked to her and covered her with a clothe nearby. I could see Sam's eyes on me but I looked at the guy.

"I'm sure you must've married her out of love, it can't be anything else forceful. You neither have money nor power. Why do you do something like this to someone you love?" I tried to reason with him hoping it would buy time for Sam o do something.
"Love! Love, my foot. That ain't shit for us that could afford."
"Then why'd you marry?" I asked. "Let her go and let her have a new life."
"Who's gonna cook for me? You?" He laughed shaking his knife and pointing it to me.
"Hey hey! Knife down." Why the hell isn't he doing anything. I looked at him and furrowed my eyes trying he'd understand my attempt.
"Why?! I can't point it at her?!" He said and looked at me and Sam alternatively."Oh! I get it. She's your little bitch. Isn't she?"
"Mind your words." I said furiously. "You're a psycho. Soon you'll get what you deserve."
Right then the police came in. They were cautious to come silently while we talk. At least some good happened of my stupid small talk.

They took him handcuffed. My colleagues were downstairs waiting for us. The lady came down with me
"You okay?" Julie asked. "Your mom called. I said we're still eating. They couldn't get you through. They want you to call back." She said.
"Thanks."
Sam who was talking to the police all the time came back, "We'll have to take her to the hospital."

I turned to my colleagues and said, "You guys should leave. I'll call mom and if she calls back don't answer. Thanks for waiting. I'm sorry. I'll take a cab home." I smiled.

"I'll take her. You should go." Sam said.

"She must be scared right now. And she needs a woman than a strange man." I said. "I'm coming."

The police patrol was nearby so the ambulance was late and Sam decided to help out with driving her to the hospital.

I sent my colleagues and went to the woman sitting on the steps. I walked her out and Sam's driver came with the vehicle.I let her in and suddenly Sam pulled me aside and closed the door.

"Why can't you listen? I told you not to come. I'll handle it and now I'm telling you to go, but." There was some kind of restlessness in his voice.

"I'm not one of your minions Mr. Sam, to obey you. I neither am your responsibility since I'm no one to you. So, just leave it. I can handle it." I said bitterly.

"Handle what? Small talk about love? Are you insane Ms. Mason? He replied being irritated by my reply.

Oh! And he knows my name. Last name.

"That was just to buy some time. You were in a tight corner. I thought I could help."

"By putting yourself in danger? Very brave. Vey helpful." His sarcasm enraged me.

"At least it bought time for the police. I thought you were more skilled in these matters."

"Of course I am. I could've handled it if it was not for you." He vexed. "I could've lost you." Although the last part was mild-toned my annoyance stayed the same.

"Isn't that what you wanted in the first place? Don't put out your act in front of me Sam." I replied and walked to the car. I swear this guy is so cryptic than the Kryptos.

We sat in the back while Sam sat with the driver, front. We quietly drove to the nearest hospital and got her admitted. She was taken inside for some diagnosis and we had to wait outside. I was sitting on a hospital chair and he was leaning on the wall in front of me. He was on his phone, texting. He looked worried, busy, angry and all sort of emotions in one go. Then he went away with a call.

Now that I'm alone I came to think about how dangerous it is for me to be here with him.

But it gave me time to think about our conversation back then. If someone who didn't know our situation saw us they'd think I was reckless and he was actually concerned about me. Hell, If we weren't in this mess, I'd think the same. Then again I contemplated a lot on all the situations we've been and figured it's best not to judge him. In the end, all I could think about was that night and his threat about making me fear him, that haunted me breaks all those thoughts.

I was just worried about this lady and not me. The room came into the picture before my eyes. The way my eyes went from him to her and never to Sam. I didn't wanna see his deadly stare ever again. What did he mean by saying he knew Sam? Was he dangerous? Of course. But, like that man?
But he won't do something like that to a girl, would he? He helped her more than anything, even took her to the hospital.
Maybe,
Maybe,
He's not so bad as he seems.

But I'm always wrong in judging people and they turn opposite of what I think.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Enjoy!

Leave a comment and Vote.

The fact that you are reading this means a lot for me.

Love,

Writer.