Chapter 67

Niall's P.O.V.

The adoption process was happening faster than we imagined it would, and we were thrilled. It had only been a couple of months and today we were going to an orphanage to see the kids. We wouldn't be able to bring one home, but we could meet all the kids. We dropped Kinley off with Lucy's mom and headed towards the orphanage.

"Are you excited Lucy?"

"I am so excited."

"Don't get too attached today because we won't be able to bring him home. We have to visit him a few more times before we can do anything."

"I know, but I also know I will immediately be attached. There isn't anything I can do about it. I love kids and I would adopt them all if I could. That's a bit unreasonable though, so we just get one more kid and that's it. Unless we fall in love with one and it has a sibling then we can't tear them apart."

"Okay. If we really like one and we find out it already has a sibling we can try to get both. Let's try for just one kid though." She nodded and fidgeted in her seat the whole way there. "Lucy calm down. Stop fidgeting."

"I'm excited! We could be meeting our future son today. What should his name be?"

"He probably already has a name."

"Obviously. I don't know what I was thinking. Are you not excited?"

"I am just as excited as you are. I just have better composure than you." We pulled up to the orphanage and walked up the steps hand in hand. Once we went in we were immediately greeted.

"Hi. I'm Susan and you must be the Horans."

"That's us."

"Come with me for a minute and then we can introduce you to the kids." We followed her into an office that had pictures drawn by kids hanging everywhere. She talked to us more about the adoption process and more about our home life before she led us to a playroom. We went in and looked around at all the kids playing with toys. "You can play with them and talk to them. Just don't tell anyone that you are adopting them yet. Afterwards you can tell me which one you got along with the best and then you can come visit him a few more times before you can actually take him home." We went in the room and talked to a few of the kids. They were all cute and it was hard to pick one that we liked the best. Most of the kids came to us, but a few stayed with the toys doing their own things. We played with all the kids that came to us before going over to the kids that didn't come to us. We made our way to a little boy who was sitting at a toy piano. He wasn't banging on it and making a lot of noise like you would expect from a child. He was just gently pressing one key at a time letting the noise ring out before pressing the next one. I knelt down next to him and Lucy did the same.

"Hey what's your name?" He looked at us for a few seconds before timidly replying.

"Ewic."

"Eric. My name is Niall and this is Lucy." She smiled at him.

"Hi Eric."

"Hi."

"How old are you?"

"Thwee and a half." Lucy and I both smiled.

"Do you like this piano?" He nodded his head and Lucy kept talking. "Do you like music?" He nodded his head. "Niall likes music too." He looked at me and then back to Lucy. "Can you play us a song?" He frowned and shook his head.

"I can't pway anyfing."

"Just make something up." He pressed a few keys and looked back at us. "That was very good. Do you have any other instruments here?" He got up and went to get a toy guitar. It just had buttons that lit up and played their own music.