Apology

"... I'm sorry." Jiang Cheng said. He raised his face, only for their heart to sink when they saw his blank expression. "I can't respond to your feelings." He told him, his voice full of seriousness. He cupped his hands, then bowed to show his sincerity.

Their eyes went wide as they looked at Jiang Cheng, then Lan Xichen. Now, their eyes are looking at him – full of pity. Lan Xichen, however, his eyes are only fixed on Jiang Cheng who's still bowing. "... sect leader... Jiang..." he called, his voice cracked at the end. He cleared his throat, yet it even felt itchier than earlier. His eyes are misty, indicating his tears are about to fall. "Please... raise your head – " he said as he choked back a sob. Yet, Jiang Cheng didn't move. He remained still and silent. Lan Xichen sharply inhaled a breath, then glanced at Lan Qiren. His uncle's face is red in anger and is about to blow up. Lan Wangji is seriously looking at him, his eyes asking yet remained calm. Wei Wuxian is pitifully looking at him, then looked at Jiang Cheng. His eyes are bewildered as he looked at his brother. Jiang Cheng... he thought, then looked at Lan Xichen's eyes full of pain. For the first time... they saw the formidable Zewu-jun looked miserable and broken – more miserable and more broken than the Guanyin Temple incident.

"Uncle..." Jin Ling muttered, his eyes full of worry. He was about to run when Lan Sizhui and Lan Jingyi pulled him back, they're equally worried as him.

Their eyes focused on Jiang Cheng and Lan Xichen. Just... just how...? They all thought. Just how deep Lan Xichen loves Jiang Cheng...? They thought, then stopped when they remembered Lan Xichen's confession earlier. Ah... they thought as their heart sighed. Too deep... even the ocean can't compete with its depth. After all... they looked at Lan Xichen who closed his eyes and lowered his head – still a picture of grace and beauty and magnificence, yet right now... that picture broke.

And a single tear escaped in that break, followed by many more. It was the first time they witnessed such a beautiful, yet also heartbreaking sight.

The next days, it was surprising not a single word come out of what happened that day. Not a single soul dared to speak. After all, what happened after was Lan Qiren finally snapping grabbing his nephew away. Wei Wuxian and Jin Ling ran towards Jiang Cheng who was still bowing, never had moved a little since. Lan Wangji wanted to follow his wife, yet after seeing Lan Qiren's furious face he and the two junior disciples hastily followed Lan Qiren. Seeing Jiang Cheng still not willing to move, Jin Ling told the sect leaders to leave and dismissed the meeting. They wanted to stay, yet after seeing Wei Wuxian's furious face and his eyes glowed red, they ran as fast as lightning. "Jiang Cheng." Wei Wuxian called. "Jiang Cheng. It's fine now. They all left." He told him.

Jiang Cheng still didn't move. "Uncle!" Jin Ling called and shook Jiang Cheng's shoulder. "Uncle, come on! Answer us!" he said, then sighed when Jiang Cheng didn't budge.

"Jiang Cheng." Wei Wuxian called, his voice low and serious Jin Ling turned to him in shock. It's as if he's looking at the Yiling Patriarch – in which Wei Wuxian is. Wei Wuxian looked at Jiang Cheng. "I heard what Zewu-jun had said." He told him.

Finally, Jiang Cheng moved – but only his shoulder, which tensed. "Uncle..." Jin Ling called.

"In which – " Wei Wuxian said. " – all a lie." He said and walked in front of Jiang Cheng.

Jin Ling's eyes went wide upon hearing it and a soft gasp come out of his mouth. All the time, he heard of how close his uncle and Wei Wuxian before. After hearing what Lan Xichen said, he thought it was true his uncle held feelings towards Wei Wuxian, just thinking how obsessed Jiang Cheng was before in looking for Wei Wuxian, and Jiang Cheng is still unmarried. And so, he thought Jiang Cheng is waiting for Wei Wuxian. However, what he found strange was that, Jiang Cheng easily let Wei Wuxian go with Lan Wangji. Is Jiang Cheng a martyr and masochist to let someone he loves be with someone? However, he knew his uncle is a sadist, and so... he realize his uncle could never love Wei Wuxian. Then... why is his uncle chasing Wei Wuxian? He looked at Wei Wuxian.

"You wanted to prove yourself." Wei Wuxian said. "You wanted to prove yourself to other people... to uncle Jiang – " he said as he lowered his head. " – but most of all... to me." He said, his voice faded. "You were always jealous of me even if I was the one who should be. You wanted for everyone to see your achievements... for uncle Jiang to see you and be proud of you... and for me... to prove to me that you're better than me." He said. "Jiang Cheng..." he raised his head and looked at him. "I can clearly see that... since I am your best friend... I am your brother..." he said as his tears finally fell. "The one who see you thoroughly is me. Jiang Cheng... you have already proven yourself to me... long, long time ago. So, Jiang Cheng..." he said as he held Jiang Cheng's shoulders that trembled and a sob escaped from him. "... I am sorry for making you tired of all the chasing... when I was alive... when I died... and now I came back. Jiang Cheng – " he called and smiled as Jiang Cheng raised his head. Jin Ling covered his mouth, his tears streaming down his face as he looked at his both uncles. " – one of the reasons I came back from the dead... is to tell you – " he said as he pulled Jiang Cheng to a hug. " – you can now rest... brother." He whispered as he closed his eyes and hugged Jiang Cheng tight. "Rest." He whispered.

Jiang Cheng's eyelids closed and his head fell on Wei Wuxian's shoulder. "Uncle..." Jin Ling called. Wei Wuxian just smiled and looked at Jin Ling.

"Wei Wuxian..." Jiang Cheng muttered, slowly falling asleep. "... tell me..." he said.

"... hm?" Wei Wuxian softly said as he patted Jiang Cheng's back.

"... how can I..." Jiang Cheng said. "... tell him I am sorry for everything...?" he asked.

Wei Wuxian froze. Jin Ling's forehead knotted. "Uncle...?" he called.

"Can I still take back my words...?" Jiang Cheng asked. "Can I still repair those broken pieces...? Can I... still wipe his tears?" he asked, his voice fading. "Lan Huan... I am sorry..." he muttered, his voice heavy because of tiredness. "... I can't reciprocate your feelings..." he said, then truly fell asleep.

Jin Ling's eyes went wide, shocked. Uncle... you really can't love Zewu-jun back...? He thought, the disappointment pierced his heart. However, Wei Wuxian thought otherwise. Jiang Cheng... he thought as he lowered his head. His face is dark. You 'can't' love him back... you can't... you can't now... since you knew his feelings towards you... too late. He closed his eyes as he patted the back of the sleeping Jiang Cheng's head. You can't now... it's too late...

It's too late for you to love Lan Xichen back.

(A/N: WO DE TIAN!!!! T^T WHY...?!?!?!)

To be continued.