Chapter 15: Hell Is For Angels

Hell was, well, hell. 

Demons had surrounded them, and then cowered in fear at the sight of Crowley. Half of them ran, in utter disbelief that the King was alive once more. Those that remained fled in fear the second Lucifer showed up.

So it turned out that Castiel hadn't needed to worry about fighting off demons. They already had the two beings that every demons was terrified of. 

So they wandered up through hell until they ended up in Crowley's throne room. Demons cowered and watched on as Crowley slowly made his way up to his chair and sat down, smiling wickedly.

"Did you miss me?" He called out, settling on the throne with ease. The demons cowered even further. "You there," Crowley pointed at one of them and gestured. "Come here." The demon made no move to step forward, and then Lucifer turned to look at him. He stumbled forward with a small squeak and dropped before Crowley.

"Y-yes sir?" He asked.

"I need to you to open a door for my friends here, make sure they get back to Earth." They all looked disgusted at the word friends, but the demon only nodded frantically. "And one more thing," Crowley went on. "Make sure every demon in this hellhole knows that the King is back and ruling once again, and anyone who would like to challenge that is welcome to take it up with me." The demons nodded and scurried off.

"Looks like we'll be back on Earth within the hour," Anna commented. "Then what?"

"Heaven needs all the angels it can get," Castiel explained. "I suggest you and Balthazar head there."

"I'll go too," Lucifer insisted, smiling. "Say hello to the gang."

"And you'll head for the Winchesters," Gabriel guessed. Castiel nodded.

"I've been gone too long already," Cas declared. "I need to see them."

"I'll go with you," Gabriel said. Castiel paused.

"Are you sure you want to?" He nodded.

"I have some things to explain to Sam," He admitted. "And it's about time I explained them."

"Wonderful, so now both the Winchesters have their angel pets back," Crowley commented. "Tell me, does anyone know if my darling mother is still alive?"

"Your WHAT?" Balthazar raised an eyebrow.

"She is," Castiel confirmed. Crowley grinned wickedly.

"Wonderful."

******

The door out of hell left them in a forest Castiel didn't know. 

"Something seems different," Anna insisted. "Heaven feels different."

"I know what you mean," Balthazar shivered. "What haven't you told us?" Gabriel, Lucifer, and Castiel exchanged a glance.

"Metatron closed the gates of heaven, and the angels fell." Castiel explained. "That's why I don't have wings."

"Y-you fell," Anna whispered. "The angels fell?"

"All of them?" Balthazar echoed.

"Except me and Luci, yeah," Gabriel admitted. 

"There's been so much death up there," Castiel went on. "After the fall, and then the slaughtering.... There's only a few angels left."

"That's impossible," Balthazar scoffed. "There were hundreds of angels when I died,"

"Thousands when I did." Anna went on. 

"And now they can barely keep the lights on," Gabriel said. 

"We need an archangel's power up in heaven," Castiel said, looking at Lucifer. He pondered the idea for a moment.

"So you want me to STAY in heaven, is what you're saying."

"It would be incredibly helpful to everyone else."

"Alright, fine. On one condition." Castiel bit back a grimace. There was always a condition. A catch. Nothing could ever be done simply.

"What is it?"

"I want to go and see my son one more time." Anna and Balthazar froze.

"You have a SON-" Anna started.

"Absolutely NOT." Castiel snapped.

"Agreed." Gabriel offered. Castiel's head whipped towards him. "Here me out Cassie. It's one visit, and then he helps heaven for the rest of eternity. That's got to be worth it."

"Last time he saw Jack, he stole his grace, Dean got possessed by Michael, and Jack ultimately DIED. I won't trust him with Jack again."

"I'm not going to steal his grace," Lucifer swore. "And besides, it's really the kid's decision, not yours."

"I am his parent, therefore it is my decision."

"Excuse you, I'm his father." Castiel smirked. 

"Why don't you ask him that?" The angel said. 

"One visit," Gabriel went on. "And when Jack wants you out, you leave. Agreed?"

"Agreed." Lucifer promised. "Cross my heart, and hope that Dad will smite me. Oh wait, he doesn't care enough to smite any of us."

"Does that work for you Cassie?" Gabriel asked. Castiel stepped forward, eyeing Lucifer cautiously.

"One more thing," He declared. He grabbed Lucifer by the collar and growled at him. "You touch one hair on the Winchester's heads, and I'll make you wish you had never left your fucking cage." Lucifer raised an eyebrow.

"Understood."