Chapter One

I left the quiet restaurant, wanting to shower and finish my three-week painting. I went down the usual alleyway to get home. The urge to hurry home filled my body as I heard shuffling feet and drunken laughter and catcalls behind me. I hurriedly put my hair down and covered my head with my hoodie. I quickened my pace, wanting to avoid being captured by the drunk men. I heard the shuffling footsteps quicken. There was a man who fell over a pipe, as he laughed and got up, he pushed himself further than the others. I felt a pang of terror in my heart as a dirty, ashy hand grabbed my shoulder. The man whipped me around, pinning me against the wall. "Hey Hun, whatcha doing around here at this time of night?" I turned my head as his alcohol and cigarette tainted breath hit my face. "Answer me, bitch!" He screamed at me. "Fine!" I brought my knee up against his groin and nailed it right between his legs. He scrunched his face in pain and fell to his knees. I jumped over him and ran toward the busy street. There was suddenly a hand dragging me back toward the group. I cried out for help when the strong man behind me threw me against the brick wall. I felt my hand shatter as all of my little weight was shoved into it. I screamed in agony as my tendons were cut and my bones were broken and shattered inside of my hand. The dirty hand of the strongest man in the group covered my mouth as I continued to cry out. "Calm down darlin'." I lifted my good hand and scratched him across the eye and over the cheek. Blood poured out of his face as he yelled in pain. He slapped me and my body fell toward the group of drunks. They started to tackle me. The youngest looking of the men pressed both of my wrists down with his knees. I screamed in pain once again as he put an immense amount of pressure on my shattered hand. I heard people yelling and bodies hitting the wall and the cement ground. I gasped as the man was yanked off of me and thrown about twenty feet back. I forced myself to get up. A few of the men were screaming in fear and pain. A deep voice and a high pitched voice were talking to each other about trying to not kill the men. I started to run into a safe location as a man's body flew past me and slid along the cement. I hopped over a moving body, not thinking anything of it as I quickened my pace. I heard a higher pitched voice telling me to look out. I turned around but came face to face with one of the drunks. He held a pocket knife in his left hand. He swung his arm through the air and I felt a searing pain as it came in contact with my stomach a few times. I grabbed onto his wildly swinging arm that held the pocket knife and dug my unsheathed claws into his arm, drawing blood. I spit on his face and he grabbed my head. I felt a shocking pain in my head as I fell to the ground. I saw the man being thrown against the wall. My vision started to blur as golden-green eyes peered into mine. A red bandanna was the last thing I saw before my consciousness faded away.