Two

"I thought that was you." He chuckles, and I feel like I'm a puddle. I know I should speak but I can't find my voice. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined Luke would be here, in Charleston, in the same restaurant as me on the same day at the same time.

Someone kicks my leg under the table, and I realize the awkwardness I'm causing in this situation. "Hi," I blurt, feeling heat flame my cheeks.

"Aren't you Luke?" Mom asks, smiling warmly as she had to Rachel. "You walked our Emma down the aisle at Mia and Jonah's wedding, right?"

"That's right," Luke confirms, the smile still on his face. I can't believe how comfortable he is to be standing here, intruding on a dinner just to say hi to a girl he kissed once and then friendzoned.

"Wow," Matt comments, grinning. "You could almost say that's fate."

Oh no.

How could payback be coming this fast? I cut my brother a look but he only smiles in amusement.

"What are you in Charleston for?" Dad asks, as Mom meets my eyes. She inclines her head toward Luke, and I widen mine to her.

"I go to college here." He tells Dad who nods in appreciation.

"What's your major?"

Luke smiles, not even minding the fact that my Dad is grilling him. "Industrial engineering."

Mom's eyes bulge and she sends me a look. I hear her loud and clear without her even saying a word: He's obviously got his life together.

I stare back at her, Just because it's his major doesn't mean he'll actually be an engineer, Mom.

She sends me a raised brow, Please, he's definitely going to be an engineer.

"Emma, I was wondering if you'd like to go for a walk downtown." Luke says, and I turn to look up at him, about to say no thanks when Matt interrupts.

"She'd love to." He informs Luke, earning a wide-eyed look from Rachel.

I send Matt a secret glare, annoyed when he only smiles back. My eyes fly to Mom who's beaming. He's such a nice boy.

"Emma?" Luke prods, his smile hopeful. Why on earth does he want to go for a walk with me when a year ago he friend zoned me into the next century. There was no misinterpretation, he made sure of it.

"Sure," I agree slowly. My mind is spinning at this turn of events. Just a minute ago, I was sad watching everyone in love and suddenly the guy who gave me my first kiss (an epic one too), shows up and asks me to go for a walk. As we head out the door, I pinch myself to ensure I'm not dreaming.

"How have you been?" Luke asks, once we're outside. He smiles, and I'm struck again by how perfect his teeth are. His hair isn't gelled anymore, and I find myself hoping it's a normal thing now, and not a "didn't have time to do it" thing.

"Good," I reply, pulling on the end of my braided hair to make sure it's secure. It's really so I have something to do. I'm reeling from this turn of events and I have no idea what I'm doing. "How about you?"

"Good yeah." He replies, grinning over at me and stuffing his hands in his pant pockets.

"Who were you having dinner with?" I ask, watching him from the corner of my eye as I pretend to be interested in the scenery of Charleston. It's crazy how excited I was to come see everything and when I get the chance I'm distracted by Luke Rossi.

"It was just me." He smiles, "I was grabbing a bite to eat after work."

"Oh," I breathe, pausing as we reach a crosswalk. "Where do you work?"