Chapter 3: Standing On The Brink Of The Ocean

Rose's POV:

"So?" We've been walking in silence for 5 minutes. I'd been looking at the ground almost the entire time. If I look up I'd just look at him. Oh what the hell. I glanced up and noticed him looking down at me. Eyes quick to dart away. I looked at higher surroundings and everything looked familiar. Why?

"Wait, we can talk when we get there."

"Where?" He was trying to hush me. I hated that so I swatted his hand away. "Move, boy." He smiled and shook his head as he turned towards a house and began walking up the driveway.

"Chris whe— Oh my gosh." It was his house. We lived in the same neighborhood. After that day. I never came this way. Practically threw it out of my mind. He walked to the half lifted garage and lifted it up some more so he could get under the door. I didn't follow. "Why can't we talk out here?"

"Why do you want to?" He stepped back out. Not one particular emotion on his face. It seemed to flash from variety to none at all.

"I just don't think I.. we should be in there." I shrugged and hugged myself with my arms.

He shrugged and re-entered the garage. "Girl come on, that was years ago. We grown. WE can handle it. It's getting cold outside anyway." He shifted around with some things. The garage door wasn't fully opened so all I saw were his feet moving. You had to duck to get in.

He didn't get it. He was right that day. I don't deal with shit. I bottle it in so that, hopefully, I can sort it out myself, alone. I've always felt alone. I've always delt with my own shit. Things got so heavy I had to compartmentalize. I can't deal with everything at once so I bottle it and keep going. But you know what they say. Bottles overflow. And if I step in there mines will.

That was my haven. I could be me. I could let it all out and he'd listen and hold me. Tell me it'd be okay and then make it okay. Our rule was to always be free there and I held true to it.

Those memories were practically a tidal wave hiding behind a half opened door and I'd never feared anything more at this point. Yes, I am grown but, emotionally? Emotionally I have no age. I have expiration dates and I keep postponing this particular date. After I left I was heartbroken but I couldn't take that pain home. I threw myself into books and friends and eventually that bottle rolled in with the rest in that sea. Now, standing on the brink of the ocean, the wave that couldn't break a garage door was about to crush me. Demolish me entirely.

But hey, He couldn't possibly understand that. He has his own shit to think about. Oh my Gosh. I let out a small annoyed growl and facepalmed. "What am I even doing here. I'll leave." I turned on my heel and began walking back down the driveway as I heard light, hurried footsteps behind me.

"Hey! Hey hey hey, wait." He reached me and grabbed my elbow to turn me around to face him. "Okay fine we can wait out here." His hands rested on my shoulders as he looked in my eyes. Pleading. What the hell did he wanna talk about? "Just um." He examined me from head to toe before making a decision. "Just, let me go get you a jacket or a blanket or something okay? Just stay here." He gave my arms a slight squeeze before dipping off into the garage again. Hastily looking for a source of warmth for me.

I slowly walked toward the garage entrance. Peeking at the little things I could see. It wasn't a working garage, meaning they didn't park in here. It was filled with random objects but it was also a hangout for Chris. He'd just come home from school and sit in here for hours. Unbothered with music. Eventually I joined that tranquility.

My thoughts were disturbed by his reappearance with a blanket. "All I could find."  He handed it to me with a huff of breath.

"It's fine." I nodded as I wrapped myself with it and looked up to the darkening sky. "So... you wanted to talk?"

"Yea.." he looked down. "It's about Keith."

I rolled my eyes. Quite frankly, I didn't give a shit what he was about to say next. He apparently sensed how I felt about his statement.

"Hey look. Atleast tell me what all you know about him."

I scoffed. What the hell is this. "Chris... look. I never came to you if I saw you with some—"

He kissed his teeth. "It's none of that. I just have some bad news and I was wondering if you knew."

"Bad news.. about Keith I'm guessing." I was NOT impressed and I'm sure he could see it.

"Do you know what he's into?" He sounded fed up but honestly, so was I.

"Not what you're into. I know that much." I crossed my arms.

"Yea, you think you know that much."

"The hell is that supposed to mean?"

"He's in this shit too."

"He's not like you." That sounded worse than what I wanted it to. In the heat of the moment I didn't regret it but, the look on his face made me. "I didn't mean it like that."

"Yea, okay. Ya boy is worse Rose. He in deeper than me. He got more shit planned for him and he planning shit himself. Some of that shit is dealing with YOU." His voice rose a bit but not loud enough to alert people.

"I'm not in his shit. I didn't even know HE was in shit so how can I be involved." I didn't like this. I pulled the cover closer to me as if it would protect me from the words I was hearing right now.

"Rose... He's going to claim you."

"The hell he will. I'm not in this. He can't drag me in like that."

"He plans on it." Chris shrugged.

I sat in silence. Thinking. Why would Key do this? I had to have a choice. Didn't I? "Don't I have a choice?"

"Not really. Once he stakes claim, you're.." he let out a deep breathe, "you're all his. Nobody in this gang can touch you."

"And if we aren't together?"

"Ending it wouldn't fix shit. Still, nobody could touch you. They and you'd be considered a traitor. Let's not forget to mention claiming not only ties you to him but the gang itself. You'd be in it."

"Chris!"

"I know. You don't want this. He should know that and want better for you." Chris looked off. Anger in his eyes. "Ima kill him."

"No. No you won't. I'll handle him. Just keep me updated on what he's not telling me. Ima set this shit straight."

"You always do." His hardened face softened as he glanced towards me.

I handed him the blanket. "I'd better go."

"I can drive you back. No need to walk in the cold."

"Okay." I walked to the passenger seat of his car.

The ride was short but... peaceful. I wished it lasted longer. Now I had to get my thoughts together. I was presented with a bottle that needed to be opened quickly.

I stepped out and Chris grabbed my bag. I turned to him confused.

"Just tell me what to do. I've got your back. I only want what's best for you. I've always wanted that and you know it."

I nodded as he let go of the bag and watched me walk to the door. His car didn't leave until he saw me enter the house and wave.

My Dad was MIA. No surprise but I wasn't mad. Time to... work out some shit.

* ————— *
Whew chile! First loves...