Chapter 22

"I'm telling you, I'm really scared," Mel whimpered, genuine fear in his voice, "We've already lost Sweetpea. Who knows who's next?!" Patting his friend gently on the head, Buddy reassured him, "Don't worry, we'll find the murderer before long." Everyone else nodded their heads in silent agreement. They were all terrified and waiting in Pops' apartment for Snowball.

"If you ask me, this ain't the work of someone who is alive..." Pops murmured, his forehead scrunched up as he thought quietly. Confused, everyone looked over at the elderly basset hound. However, no one said a word for the next two minutes. Clearing his throat, Duke finally broke the silence, "What on Earth are you talking about?"

"Are you saying we're being haunted by a ghost?" Max whimpered, hiding behind Gidget. She hugged her boyfriend to comfort him. Chloe, meanwhile, had her tail puffed up. But it didn't stop there as all of the hair on her body stood on end. Sighing long and hard, Pops quietly nodded his head and mumbled, "More like a demon."

"Like Rajka..." Tiberius piped up. Everyone slowly turned their heads towards the old hawk. One would think his red tail was on fire. The only sound was creepy piano music. Looking more confused than everyone else, Tiberius continued, "Rajka, no one here has heard of him? According to my family, his name means 'Bird Demon'. He's this huge vulture who prays on the souls of the innocent. Nobody?" Sighing, he muttered, "Why do I even bother?"

"Okay, so we're being haunted by ghosts... not possible," Duke stated. Glancing sideways at his brother, Max grumbled, "What, you don't believe in ghosts?" Duke nodded his head.

"I'm pretty sure this is just someone who thought it would be cool to kill people," Buddy declared.

"I think it's a ghost," Mel whimpered.

"I'm siding with Pops on the demon," Chloe meowed.

"Like Rajka..." Tiberius murmured just as more creepy piano music played.

"Or it could be a series of unfortunate events," Gidget propsed.

"No. The demon one is correct," Snowball spoke. Everyone looked over to find him at the window.