Chapter 24

"I'm getting too old for this sort of thing. I'm gonna break my neck doing this one day," Pops grumbled as he struggled up the stairs. The meeting had been held at his apartment but he insisted on escorting Chloe out to the door. She was too terrified to even go through the alleyway. The two had used the elevator. But the weird thing is that when he had gone back inside after saying goodbye to Chloe, Pops found it out of order.

Reaching the floor that he was on, Pops rested his chin on his paws as he took a break. "Where did all of my energy go?" he murmured, panting. He felt absolutely tired from the long climb up the stairs. Glancing over at his front door, the old dog sighed. Getting to his paws, he mumbled, "Just a few more steps and we'll be home."

"I can help send you home," a gravelly voice spoke. A second later, giant paws appeared before Pops. The only problem was that they were transparent and they had very long claws. Horrified, the elderly basset hound gazed up to come face to face with the biggest wolf he had ever seen. "But I'm not asleep!" he cried. Slamming his paws down on his own, Scourge growled, "Wrong, you're on the brink of it. Say hello to Myron for me."

The next thing Pops knew, he was tumbling back down the stairs he had just climbed. Getting bruised and bloodied from banging into the walls, the basset hound looked down in time to see a long and pointy stick at the bottom. And it was placed in a certain way.

The last word Pops ever said before the stick caught him in the chest was, "Rhonda..."