chapter twelve

"I still can't believe you got a car

"I still can't believe you got a car. Do you even deserve this car?", Tyler asked, raising both his brows.

He was the first person that Andy had picked up that morning. The car was her early birthday present, a gift from her dad actually. Andy was grateful. It meant that the man still cared, even if he was growing distant. She picked Tyler up first because he lived the closest, but also because he was the easiest to talk to.

"Hey! I pleaded hard for this car!"

"Rich kid problems", Tyler snorted, an obvious joke that had Andy rolling her eyes despite the smile on her face. "Anyway, what did you wanna talk about?"

"What do you do when you have a crush so bad that it's almost overwhelming?"

Tyler blinked for a moment before grinning widely, looking very much like the cat that ate the canary. "Are we talking about Peter?"

"...No", Andy said, her voice raising an octave. "It's a hypothetical question!"

"You're such a bad liar", Tyler snorted. "When you have a crush that bad you act on it, blondie. Or, you know, ignore it and let it eat you alive for a few months before it inevitably fades. Unless it turns out you're in love, then you're screwed."

"Wow, thanks for the pick me up, Ty", Andy laughed.

"Hey, you asked for my advice", Tyler pointed out. "If you like him, then tell him. But don't just blurt it out, it has to be when you're ready to tell him, okay?"

"Right", Andy nodded, "When I'm ready." She paused for a moment, tapping her fingers against the steering wheel. "Do you like someone?"

"Nope", Tyler said quickly, much too quickly, before leaning over and turning on the radio. "Oh look, I love this song."

Andy shook her head. Soon enough, she and Tyler were singing along to Selfish by PnB Rock.

"Why's Leona at Tristan's house?", Tyler asked in confusion when the pair arrived.

Andy leaned over to get a good luck at the laughing pair before shrugging, sitting back in her seat. "I think they're official."

"Oh." Oh? Oh indeed.

Andy frowned, but didn't ask Tyler about her suspicions. With just the four of them in the car, the atmosphere was tense and quiet. She wasn't particularly sure what she should do to break the tension, so she just turned the radio up again and said nothing. Occasionally, Andy looked at Tyler from the corner of her eye. He was staring straight ahead, looking very much like a hurt puppy, so Andy just reached over and placed a hand on his shoulder. It was a universal sign of you'll be okay.

"Why's it so quiet? Did someone die in here?", Jada asked as she slid into the very back.

"Does someone being dead to me count?", Tyler asked, causing Andy to whack him on the shoulder.