forestbound (part 1)

Brief plot summary: eiji is a young photographer, on a trip to the Iberian peninsula, who ventures a bit too far into the forest. And why do the lynxes here look kind of funny?

A/N tahzdxhascfgdgrhjvs i just realised how long the intro is its really drawn out im sorry :((( please bear with my horrible pacing and enjoy!!

Eiji cursed under his breath as he dropped a spare camera lens, grumbling while wiping the damp dirt off the glass on his flannel shirt. I got carried away, i got carried away, the excuse seemed more and more stupid the more he told to himself.

For god's sake, ibe san had told him time and time again that deep in the forest lurked dangerous lynxes: not hostile on their own, but will definitely be spooked by a funny ape with a flashy rectangle thing.

But that's what eiji had secretly been hoping for, right? An chance encounter with the majestic big cat, and an opportunity for a stellar shot. Sure ibe would scold him, but he would still have a beautiful photo to last the trip.

He would say the encounter was an accident. Eiji snickered.

Maybe he would even meet the rumoured new species of lnyx, dubbed the lynx with angel eyes, that had only been spotted a few times before.

They say it had green eyes so iridescent they shone like priceless emeralds. The young photographer felt energy surge through him, bouncing on his heels in excitement. He could see it in his head now -a truly magical shot, the big cat encircled by the Iberian fauna, illuminated by a soft viridescent glow.

"Just like a fairy tale," eiji whispered, shivering. Although he realised he might not just be shivering with anticipation, at was actually getting kind of chilly. the beams of light that punctured the canopy no longer felt warm, and where the heck did the sun go?

It occured to eiji that night was quickly falling, and he made use of the twilight ambience as much as he could. Stumbling through the forest, eiji snapped evening-tinged shots here and there: a beautiful flower, an early waking owl, squirrels that scuttled along the tree trunks, and a funny looking bird with a violet tuft on its head.

The initial excitement of going on an adventure in a forest was starting to wear off and eiji's steps began to get weary. "No, im not gonna lose to some forest," the japanese boy steeled himself. "Im a big boy now, almost twenty years old and i--"

He got a face full of dirt. He glared at the little innocent-looking rock that he'd tripped over before sighing and sitting down, leaning against a tree trunk. The sun's leftovers and the moon's beginning beams coated the forest in a purple-gold light. Maybe it was best to try and set up camp after all. It wasnt good to travel at night...

"Oh squirrel, arent we the same? You and i, both lost and wanting to find a way back home?" Eiji chuckled as he spoke to the little critter and had been scurrying around on the ground for a awhile. He reached into his backpack and retrived an granola bar, breaking off a small chunk and holding at out for the squirrel to curiously sniff at.

Eiji grinned, his warm brown eyes lighting up as the squirrel reached out to grab the food and gnawed on it contently. "What am i, some kind of disney princess?" He murmured to himself amusedly. Disney princesses love animals. Disney princesses arent clumsy enough to get lost in the forest. They also dont emit crystal green light that illuminates the surrounding fauna, and they also dont often hear the menacing sounds of a feline growling behind them.

The squirrel ran for its life.

Heart leaping into his throat, eiji whipped around to come face to face with the most majestic animal he'd seen in his life. The rumoured lynx with angel eyes. The mesmerising patterns on its face, the shimmering golden fur with jet black roots, and the eyes, its eyes - they were piercing, a narrow slit shrouded by a vibrant green. Those eyes stared deep into eiji's soul, and now, not physically at least, eiji felt exposed and vulnerable.