foolish

A/N hello my dear banana boys, even though the anime takes place in modern day, i wanted to do a one shot set in the original timeframe the manga takes place in (the 80s). it's ash and eiji discussing homosexuality and such, and it will include period-typical homophobia (oof). Um, i'll be using a certain slur in this one shot, so incase any of you care sensitive to that kind of thing, ive censored it. Thanks and enjoy.

(Please understand that this story is set in the 80's, when people were ignorant of the troubles faced by lgbt people and even the nicest people wers homophobic. Many people in this period were misguided, not entirely horrible human beings.)

"Kong, dont get drunk as hell this time."

"Shut up, you cant tell me what to do!"

"As long as he doesnt throw up anyt- KONG WHAT THE FUCK"

Eiji expected many things, coming to America.

The land of the free. The fertile soil on which ambition could take root and skyrocket to success. Were the skyscrapers parted clouds, houses were big and wides and the men were stoic and fearless, bearing their firearms and waving bold american flags.

This was not one of his expectations.

Not the sight of a shrimp-pink haired teen throwing up that afternoon's natto and fish over another teen. Even though america would likely not want him bringing home the image of this scene bacl home and going "ta dah! How american!", eiji still snickered as he pressed the shutter.

"Wha- eiji, did you just take a picture?" Alex looked up , eyes meeting the grey gleam of Eiji's camera lens. "D-DELETE IT, KONG JUST RUINED MY BEST SHIRT!"

Eiji chukcled chirpily, skipping around the living room with his camera. Alex wasnt going to lay a hand on his camera anytime soon, with kong half-dead on him, and the japanese boy thoroughly enjoyed taunting him about it.

He grinned as he heard Bones and the other gang members laugh wholeheartedly, feeling warm from being able to make the group happy. As an outsider, this was the most he could do to help.

His smile growing softer, eiji ambled to a queiter corner of the room. The air seemed different here. Crouching a little so he would be just at eye level with the person curled up in the armchair, he gently used a hand to pull down the top of the newspaper, revealing sharp green eyes that turned their attention to him.

Eiji smiled softly. "Hey, ash. What's up?"

Ash was silent for a while, observing him carefully, before he scooched over freeing up space on the large armchair. "Sit next to me, there's enough space for us both."

With a delighted little sound, eiji curled himself up next to ash.

"Let me guess, kong threw up again?" Ash smiled as he removed his reading glasses and kept his newspaper. Eiji nodded. "And it was on hmm... Alex?"

Eiji laughed and gave Ash a playful shove. "Dlnt play dont with me. I know you had your ears super alert this whole time, dummy!" Ash bumped shoulders with eiji, lauging as well.

"It's so cute how you'd never curse, even to insult me," the blond smirked, as if he knew how it was making eiji blush. Hell, he probably did, that sly handsome lynx! Eiji pouted. He knew he shouldnt be feeling these things. And yet there are little moments like these that make his heart flutter.

"Well... it's pretty rude."

"Che, maybe in japan. You're in America! Curse all you want!"

Furrowing his eyebrows, eiji tried his best. "Hm.... damn!"