Chapter One

Why did this always happen to me? It didn't matter which loud rock song I had picked that month to use for my alarm. I still never seemed to wake up on time. Although to be fair, it was only the first day of school. My body probably just hadn't adjusted to waking up so early, especially without the help of the military bugle I had heard every morning at camp. Maybe I should set that as my alarm.

My accidental sleep-in now resulted in me barreling down the stairs, knowing better than to take two-at-once after I had tripped and sprained my ankle in the fifth grade. My best friend had teased me for the whole two weeks, calling me "gimpy Gale." He was a great guy. Although, he had been the one who was forced to carry my schoolbag everywhere, so he'd kind of earned the right to name-calling.

After I successfully made it down the stairs, I ran into the kitchen, where my mom stood at the counter and was zipping a small, purple bag closed. She handed the lunchbag to me and I kissed her on the cheek in gratitude.

"Did you check the bus schedule, Eliana?" she asked. "If you need me to drive you, I will. I don't want you to be late."

"No, Ma," I shook my head and started heading toward the front door. "I'm gettin' a ride with Trev."

"Matthew better be driving," she warned. I could practically feel her eyes narrow at me sternfully, even though I couldn't see her face.

"Yes, Ma," I assured. Even if Trevor had his own car, his parents still wouldn't want to pay for two parking lots at the high school. It was a waste of money. Matt had been driving his younger brother and me to school ever since he had gotten his license a year and a half ago. Except for when I was late and had to take the bus, of course. Which I was definitely in danger of right now. "I gotta go. Have a good day at work! Bye, Ma!" I yelled at her as I ran out the front door, wincing when it made a slamming noise as I closed it.

I raced down the small sidewalk that led up to my house and ran across the driveway. Matt's beat-up, gray Honda Civic poked out from behind the hedges between our houses, and I sighed in relief that they hadn't left without me. My pace slowed down as I jogged on the grass, still wet with this morning's dew.

Trevor smirked at me with his arms crossed over his chest as he leaned against the car's passenger door. I still hadn't gotten used to how much taller he had grown over the summer. I'm sure his older brother was thrilled about it. Matt stood on the driver's side, extremely sunburnt and looking slightly annoyed. I gave him a feeble, apologetic smile, which seemed to appease him a bit since he sighed and unlocked the car doors.

"Let me guess," Trevor said. "Slept through your alarm?" He bent down to pick up his backpack off the ground before opening the car door.

"Fuck off," I rolled my eyes. "I need the front seat of the car."

"I'm sorry. What the fuck is a cah?" he laughed, ignoring my request and climbing into the car. Fifteen years later and he still made fun of my Boston accent. I never understood why he and Matt didn't have them. I guessed it was because they had been born in New Hampshire and their parents didn't have accents. Lucky bastards.

I sighed reluctantly and got into the backseat, closing the door behind me. As Matt turned around in his seat to reverse, I opened my backpack and dug out the makeup bag I had thrown in. Now I'd have to do it in the car because of my stupid alarm. I took out my concealer first, but when I noticed the car had stopped moving, I looked up from my task. Matt was glaring at me from his still turned-around position. I made a confused face at him, parting my lips and furrowing my eyebrows, and shook my head, nonverbally asking "what?"

Matt, knowing my silent communication almost as well as his brother, ordered, "Seatbelt." He looked pointedly at the said belt, which still hung on the side of the car, completely unbuckled.