Chapter 2 - Bloodied Silk Nightgown

The young woman took a deep inhale before her eyes opened completely. Her body was aching and she felt exhausted. She managed to turn her head a little to the left and saw a cracked window. Through it, she could see the most beautiful golden field she'd ever laid eyes on. For a moment, she forgot about her situation, she forgot her unknown surroundings and just looked.

"Are you alright?" a voice frightened her.

The woman flinched at the sound of the unfamiliar voice and darted her eyes in its direction.

"I'm sorry," the man apologized for frightening her. "My name is Dr. Talon. I found you barely conscious in my field and brought you to a guest room in my home. Here have some water," he handed her a glass.

She stared at him. She had never seen anyone like him before. He was a tall man, even sitting down, he wore glasses and had a lean build. He was smiling so brightly even though he had only just met her. He didn't look like much of a doctor as he had stated, he resembled more of a shopkeeper. If he really was a doctor, what was he doing all the way out here in the countryside, in such a humble home?

Dr. Talon's smile slowly faded and he realized she wasn't taking very well to him. Her face was twisted in confusion, distrust, and disgust...maybe. He chuckled nervously and put the glass back on the nightstand. "You must have a lot of questions for me, and I understand if you're not exactly trusting right now. I just need to know where you came from so I can get you back home."

"No," the girl said quietly. Her voice was raspy and muted, it surprised her. She cleared her throat and looked to the edge of the bed only to see an expressionless face staring back at her. She pulled her feet closer toward her body and backed up on the headboard of the bed.

"There's nothing to worry about," Dr. Talon quickly confronted her. "That's just Pom, he's a doll."

The girl nodded while staring at the doll. What kind of doll just stares at people like that? It was disturbing.

"We haven't quite figured out what he was built for yet so he's a bit docile. We'll get there someday though, won't we Pom?"

The doll gave a blank-faced nod.

The girl looked between the two of them with a slight frown. However, instead of grimacing at the two of them a moment longer, she looked down. She noticed her ripped and bloodied silk nightgown. It was dirty and smelly, completely lacking the grace and beauty it once held. She looked over her skin and noticed the scratches that decorated the back of her legs and arms.

She gasped, realizing how terrible her injuries had gotten. The gasp caused her to have a choking fit, every dry cough burned her throat and left an unpleasant smell. The girl looked at the glass of water still available on the nightstand, now feeling the thirst she'd be carrying for days.

"Would you like some of the water," Dr. Talon asked gently. He extended the glass to her once more.

She looked between him and the glass again before taking it. She looked at her hands, which had been cut. Then to her fingernails, which were dirty. Suddenly, the girl felt shame like she had never felt before. She brought the glass to her chapped lips and fought back the urge to cry, something she had much practice at.

She gulped the glass down quickly and handed it back to Dr. Talon.

"There's plenty more where that came from," the doctor chuckled. "Pom, go fetch her some more water."

The dolled nodded and left the room with the glass.

"Could you tell me your name?" Dr. Talon asked.

"No," she turned her head away from him.