Chapter 1

Where I tell you who I thought I was

I thought I was one, but the next moment I'm another. I'll tell you who I thought I was. All I could remember is waking up from total darkness, not able to see much, or hear much, just blurred movement. It cleared and I was in a house. With people I already somehow knew everything about, in a house that seemed familiar although I've never seen it before. It was strange. I could hear a hello from a person I identified as mother. She told me not to question where I am or what all of this was, but to just accept and adjust. That was the first rule I heard. There were many to come. At a welcoming ceremony, I was introduced to a place I somehow knew. I met with the Executive Chief. He was an elderly man, big, yet gentle. I was led into a room, after the ceremony and asked questions such as if I remembered where I came from or my name. To my surprise I didn't. I couldn't remember the past, who I was, or where I came from. It seemed that I've been living in this place my entire life, yet somehow I knew in came from elsewhere. So I started my life here, at a world called Nuage Ciel. I live in a chamber with my family, and go to a school a couple of streets down. Those were places we were supposed to go to. There were also places that we weren't. Such as the border. Everyone said that it was a long fall off the border, that no inhabitant has ever come back from falling off the cliff. It was dangerous down there. At least that's what people thought. I have a small brother named Philipe and my name is Angelica. I'm not sure why I live here, but I was told not to question where I am, but to appreciate it and give back with kindness. But things were about to change.... Big time.