Chapter 3

The One Where I Stand On the Edge of The World

Angelica drive her scooter out to the edge. Her best friend Veronica would always dare her to see how close she would get to the edge. She never got closer than she had now. Last night, she lay in bed, thinking about what happened that day. The visit from the little demon, the cloud, the secrets, and then it disappeared like a stupid little dream. Although it somehow seemed real. It crashed on her head, and then it was gone. There was no evidence of the demon ever appearing in her room, the glass was back together when she left. Fantasy. That's what it was. But from the vision, dream, whatever it was, her head was spinning, and everything around her seemed so much different. She was looking through the eyes of another, and she had to get out of it. It's like everything was in a rush, spinning like a tornado around her, she had to break through the busy atmosphere, get out of the world. The edge was the solution, nobody lived close to their, except an old abandon shed. She drive out her bike through the woods, on the rough roots of the forest, and on the rocky trail until she saw the shed. It was lopsided, falling apart. She leaned her bike against the broken wood, and came to sit on the edge. There were clouds, floating slowly, peacefully. No noise, just the silence of nature. She closed her eyes,felt the presence of the clouds, and the plants around her. She could feel the wind pushing through her skull, ruffling her hair. It seemed like another world. There wasn't anything in the sky, but when she looked down, she thought she saw green squares, small rectangular areas. Hallucination was what she thought. Too much thinking, too much crazy going on for her mind to register what was happening. Angelica opened her eyes. A small daisy was sitting next to her. It was small, and delicate. She stroked it's perfectly white petals, until one fell. She got scared. The flower was falling apart. If was crying and falling apart. She tried to pick up the petal but the breeze blew it farther. And farther until it reached the tip of the cliff. Then she jumped. Right off the cliff. After the small white petal. She was falling, she was scared and falling. The petal was in her fist, but she was still falling. Next thing she knew she was on a cloud. A cloud that was carrying her, back to the world. Impossible, was all she could think. Clouds were just vapor, they couldn't carry a person. They just couldnt. The cloud floated to the edge, and Angelica got off, stunned. Her eyes wide open, her heart beating again. It happened again. It wasn't a dream. It wasn't all fake. That's when she started to hate herself to believe all the trash that was coming up in her dreams. She grabbed her bike and raced back through the rocky path road, through the woods, and back to her segment. She locked her room, got under the covers and closed her eyes tight. She started pinching herself, hoping that it was a dream. But it wasn't , and it hurt bad, and she woke up the way she was, and the small white petal was still in her fist. And it was all real, and it was scarier and stronger than she ever imagined. Breathe, she thought to herself, just breathe.