Chapter 4

The One Where Dad Doesn't Come Back

Angelica's father was a keeper. This meant he kept the secrets and the information that was released from the mouths of the governors. His job was to protect the people from the truth. The truth was the only thing that would crush and tear this world apart. That day went different. Her father went to work, he looked a bit tired. His eyes were droopy. Angelica worried for him. She always did. Her mother had told her that it would okay, that he didn't get enough sleep last night. She knew it wasn't that. That day at school, she left early and drove out to the cliff again. She reached into her pocket for the white petal and held it out in front of her her. "I'm a petal," she aid to herself,"and this giant sky is the world." Angelica frowned. If she was the petal, that means one single blow would take her down. That blow, that slight breeze that tore the petal from the flower, that was truth. It was like being a whole other thing. A storm was seen in the distance. The clouds crowded and turned from dark to darker, with a hint of red. Angelica stood up, peered into the distance, and ran to her bike. She put her foot on the pedal but it wouldn't budge. Stuck, her pedal was freaken stuck. It was coming. IT was not a girl. It was a monster sent from the depths to haunt her as a nightmare. A never ending one too. She rolled her bike as fast as she could, her hands pressed into the handles so much that they hurt. She ran down the cobblestone path, towards the woods. She was getting closer. Almost. And that was it. She sped through the woods and swiwled through the trees. She lost that demon. She could still hear her though. Hear her calling her name. The breeze was her too, it smelled of smoke. But the trees were like a hiding place, just for now.
"Hi," said a voice.
That was all she heard. She ran as quickly as possible off into the forest. No more, she blocked her eyes. Her bike tires ripped through the roots of trees until she reached town and burst through the front door of her house. It was too quick to notice the police outside.