CHAPTER 7

ALEXANDRA

I woke up the next morning with the strong sun invading my huge hotel room. The open windows faced the inviting beach, the light bursting in the sand. I was lying with my belly down, watching the ocean break in sparkling waves, the sea air invading everything. I took a picture of the window, I sent it to Mariah, Vicky, and Ethan.

This is foul play, he replied next.

I decided to call. He answered on the second ring.

"Taking advantage of the rest, Miss. Turner?"

I stretched myself up high.

"Actually, I just wanted you to hear the ocean. It's wonderful, I'll be there soon."

"I should have sent you to Siberia."

Laughing, rolling on the bed.

"I would have gone the same way. You're right, California remains incredible."

"Did you really wake up now? It's already eleven in the morning!"

"Do you know what time I slept yesterday? Three in the morning."

"May I know what I was doing until this time?"

"One of the clerks showed me a super cool seaside nightclub I could not resist."

I heard Ethan hold his breath. God, why was it so good to provoke that man?

"I'm glad you're having fun."

"It is like! But honestly, it's not so cool being alone. It would be nice if you were here."

"Excuse me?"

"Here, traveling with me, not in this room, not with me!" I corrected myself right away so I did not look like I was flirting with my boss, which would be a massive shot in the foot early in my career.

"I understood that part. I mean, would not you mind spending a week off with your boss bothering you on your side?"

"I'm hoping you're a little different when you step out of your professional role."

"I'm sorry to disappoint you."

"A pity, Mr. Thompson. You should enjoy the fact that you are alive."

He was silent. He could see how he was on the other side of the country, wrapped up in his suit, always visibly irritated, uncomfortable.

Living a dream of others.

"Have a good day, Alex."

"You too, Ethan. I already miss you. I want to say, from work, from routine, from..."

He laughed on the other side.

"I understand. Goodbye."

"Goodbye."

I lay on the bed, staring at the screen of the cell phone. What a horrible situation, strange. Was I really missing NY in such a short time?

I concluded that I was. In California there were no stressful traffic jams, police sirens, smoke coming out of the manholes, crowded transportation, humidity...

He did not have Ethan's screams. His expensive shoes echoed in his stiff, almost military gait. I could not hear him snorting with rage four thousand miles away.

I forced myself to get up. I took a shower, and already wearing my bikini, I went to one of the sun loungers on the hotel's private beach. I ordered my breakfast there, and it was great to eat at the sound of the waves, feeling the heat go through my skin. New York, take care of yourself, if I stay here longer, I'll settle down for good.

I made several purchases that day for my friends and my parents. The Los Angeles wardrobe did not follow the rigidity necessary for my work, but I did not resist buying one or another dress for a more relaxed Friday. I went in a salon to hydrate the curls, and a small cut to define them.

At night, I could not resist hitting more clubs.

Los Angeles had a nightlife as restless as my home, risking saying that in the season it was even more boiling. The difference is that in NY practically everybody goes in social clothes for the club, after a full day in the office. Here people wear lighter and darker clothes - especially women, displaying their beautiful, permanent tans. Electronic music was of the best quality, tasted a myriad of new drinks - much less serious than those that existed at home. That night I was sure that I would return to LA more often, and bring Vicky with me, for she would love that excitement.

I went to the hotel at dawn, happy and tired, a little more drunk than I intended, but no hard feelings.

It was too early to find out, but my quiet was about to end.