PROLOGUE

ALEXANDRA

Can I tell you something about New York?

The GDP of the NY metropolitan area amounts to more than $ 1.2 trillion, it is the fifteenth largest economy in the world.

Want something else interesting?

We rank second in the United States to established companies in one city, making us one of the largest international business communities in the world, a fact of which we are very proud.

One more cool thing? I did Business Administration at New York University. A few times in life I have come out of this state, and I am very satisfied with it.

I work in a skyscraper in Midtown Manhattan, you can see the Empire State from the windows, and I love having this view instead of Central Park. Here is the real heart of business, here we move all the wheels of this gigantic money-making machine that is New York. To be established here, you need to have at least one of these three facts:

To be born in a golden cradle or to be lucky enough to be patronized by someone, to be the son of the independent New York nation, or to have enough strength to take its place in this arena of concrete, contracts, and opportunities. Luckily and very hard, I have two of the three requirements.

I did not do medicine or law, as my parents suggested. I've always wanted to work here, where fire is born, where the greatest deals on the planet are happening. This area always attracted me, and I knew that even though I was black and female, I had the courage to put my face to the slap, and at the right time, learn to beat. While still in college I started working at Thompson Business Corporate, and it was with a lot of blood and sweat that I went up the five floors that the company occupies until becoming president, with a permanent job.

I would like to say that I am the president of Thompson, but I wanted the fate that I was born in the quiet Turner family of Harlem, with modest living values ​​and quite opposite to what I always wanted. I'm not the president, but I'm his direct assistant, The Midtown Mighty, like my friends, the economics tabloids, and anyone who wants a place in this business world knows.

Ethan Thompson, our controversial and talented boss. The most objective, determined, fleeting and scary man I know. The latest books have called people from his CEO profile, and since that became fashionable he removed the title from the entire company, replacing it with President.

Ethan Thompson would hate to be fetishized. Reduced to such outcasts who hold important positions in companies thanks to the hard work of their parents and spend whole nights in the Upper East Side drinking Chandon Dom Perignon in the bottleneck and eating girls who do not bother to remember the name. Ethan Thompson is a superior man, an exemplary leader, owner of a whole career.

Ethan Thompson is the only reason I've been parked as an assistant.

And so, internally I call him CEO. As if he could read my thoughts and get irritated, as if I could take him just a little bit from the serious, just as he makes a point of doing to me every day just to be breathing. Ethan Thompson wants me to give up. Let me go, clean my desk in a fit of crying and add to your life forever and ever.

Only I'll never give up. I wanted the life that two stubborn borns worked together, always in an internal war of who could be better. I know how far I can provoke him, instigate him. And he knows that he only gets me out of here by firing me, and I do not do anything that can give him reasons to do so. Unlucky enough, he comes from a family too right to do such a thing just by mere whim. Ethan has a code to follow, and as long as I'm brilliant here, I'll be protected.

My boss is my daily challenge. The lion I have to tame by day, since I can not kill him.

And on that day, the day our lives began to change, I even thought about quitting.

And I thank heaven every day for not making that decision.