CHAPTER 14

ALEXANDRA

On Saturday, two striking things happened.

The first was my official farewell to the United Secretaries. Until then I was part of a group of CEO assistants and secretaries who met monthly in the house of one of the members to exchange experiences of work, to make a circle of outburst, to laugh a little of the face of our heads, all without fault and in the confidentiality. Mariah and I were in the group and it was she who got me into it, most of the meetings happened at her house because she was the person with the larger apartment, but she rarely talked about Ethan, just liked being a good hostess. For years the group helped me hold onto the bar and work hard to get up the much-dreamed rungs for a promotion. In addition to the rule of not leaking any information from meetings, it was mandatory to leave the group when their charge went up. I will not deny that it was sad and a little frustrating to leave, it was great to have that kind of company, although we continued the contact, it did not belong to me anymore.

As Newton's third law said: to go forward, it is necessary to leave something behind.

Then, with many tears, laughter, memories and gifts, I bid farewell to the secret and select group of about thirty women warriors, who waged their daily struggles often in silence, wishing above all to achieve what I now had: a place in the sun .

At night, I was still very quiet about what had happened. As always, Vicky could not bear to see me in that way, and doing her always great role as a big sister, made me wear something cool, wear makeup, and took me to one of the clubs I used to go.

He had not done this since Los Angeles, and after days of hard work, nothing better than relaxing a little. We went to a nightclub frequented by people in my midst, I was likely to find co-workers among people. Vicky, who was a investigative journalist and photographer for The New York Times, could not be feeling more displaced, and laugh at her nervousness.

We stayed on the second floor, from where we could see the dance floor. We asked for a table, drinks, and as at every possible opportunity, I let my friend talk. His work always yielded superinteresting stories, even if it was sometimes dangerous. Victoria Campbell Rodríguez would never do my kind of life, wearing social clothes, using a lot of diplomacy and spending days in skyscrapers. She liked practical clothes, walking around the city behind clues, taking photos.

A raucous laugh caught my attention. He had not listened to her in a long time, and it was easy to track him down. William was in the chairs facing the bar, talking loudly and gesturing in his humorous manner, always drawing attention. He rested one hand on the man's shoulder at his side, shaking him. It was Ethan, who complained to him, showing the middle finger.

I grabbed my cell phone and texted William, asking him to look back. His eyes traveled the place until he found me, pointing at me and pretending to be shocked, he stood up, coming towards me.

I stood up to greet him, being suspended in the air by his embrace then. It was amazing to see how such different people could have the same blood running through their veins. William had more Irish features, an aristocratic and gentle appearance, unlike his brother, who was taciturn.

"God, how beautiful you look!"

"That's because you did not see yourself in the mirror today."

"Ethan, look at this woman" he held one of my arms, making me take a full turn "can you believe that you leave her single?!"

Ethan sighed, rolling his eyes.