Honestly

Slight Modern AU

I fell in love with the song, 'Honestly' by Gabbie Hanna. So, that song is going to be the main focus of this story.

Mild Language in the song so yeah.

(B/s)=your birthstone

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You looked through the curtains from backstage, your anxiety skyrocketing. You had never been so nervous before in your entire life. You clutched the silver heart-shaped locket in your hand, the (b/s) glittering in the sunlight. It was the first birthday gift you had received from your boyfriend. He broke your heart, but it was something that reminded you of happier times.

"Are you okay, (Y/N)?" Eugene asked, placing a reassuring hand on your shoulder.

"Yeah, just a little nervous. It's just... I haven't performed in front of the entirety of Corona High," You replied, fidgeting with your fingers and hands.

"Don't worry, you'll be great. Just go out there and sing from the heart," he encouraged, patting your back lightly.

You nodded at him, now more confident than before. The announcer then called you to the stage, a eruption of cheering and applause. You stepped out into the performance area, your (f/c) dress sparkling under the fluorescent lights. You looked out to the crowd to see a few familiar faces.

Your mother and father were sitting in the front row, clapping with proud and happy looks on their faces. Your sister, Rapunzel, was cheering wildly and whistling with both of her pinkies. Cassandra cheered, yelling 'You go, (N/N)!' and pounding her fist in the air. You smiled at them shyly, before moving your eyes towards the back rows. That's when you saw a face you were less than happy to see.

Varian was leaning against the wall, his blue and black flannel clinging loosely to his frame. His black and chestnut hair partially covered his right eye, which were a sky blue. His arms were crossed over his chest and he had an unreadable expression on his face. You looked away, knowing that it was his fault that he broke your heart by cheating on you with your jealous rival, Azura.

"Hi, everyone. So tonight, I'm going to be singing a song that I'm sure a lot of girls can relate to," You announced before turning to the band, who volunteered to play the music with you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~White lies, but they're getting dark
Blurred lines, but they're getting clearer
Just tell the truth, hey, it's not that hard
You call me crazy, so am I crazy?

Your words don't hold any weight
I can't seem to get a straight answer
Don't trust you, but who's to blame?
I think you're crazy... but am I crazy?

Got me second guessing everything you say
Thinking that I know you but you're really a stranger
Doing what you gotta do to get your way
You're reckless and selfish and you can't help it

Say you're talkin' to me honestly
But you're lying to me constantly, oh
All the bullshit, I don't need it
And honestly I don't believe it, nah

Say you're talkin' to me honestly
But I don't want your dumb apology, no
Say you're sorry, you don't mean it
Sorry but I don't believe it, nah

Say too much, but it's not enough
Got me wondering, what all are you hiding?
Did you lie when you called love?
Or am I crazy?
Somebody save me

Got me second guessing everything you say
Thinking that I know you but you're really a stranger
Doing what you gotta do to get your way
You're reckless and selfish and you can't help it

Say you're talkin' to me honestly
But you're lying to me constantly, oh
All the bullshit, I don't need it
And honestly I don't believe it, nah

Say you're talkin' to me honestly
But I don't want your dumb apology, no
Say you're sorry, you don't mean it
Sorry but I don't believe it, nah

Don't know what's reality
Make me question my sanity
Don't know what's reality
Am I losing my sanity?

Say you're talkin' to me honestly
But you're lying to me constantly, oh
All the bullshit, I don't need it
And honestly I don't believe it, nah

Say you're talkin' to you honestly
But I don't want your dumb apology, no
Say you're sorry, you don't mean it
Sorry but I don't believe it, nah

Nah, nah, nah (Say you're talkin' to me honestly)
I don't need it
Nah, nah, nah (But you're lying to me constantly)
I don't believe it, no
Nah, nah, nah (Say you're talkin' to me honestly)
I don't need it
Nah, nah, nah (But you're lying to me constantly)
I don't believe it, no

Say you're talkin' to me honestly
But you're lyin' to me constantly
Say you're talkin' to me honestly
But you're lyin' to me constantly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The crowd roared with cheers and clapping, the occasional whistle could be heard. You bowed to the audience, a sign of 'thanks' for their attention. Rapunzel came running upstage before bringing you into a bear hug.

"Sis, you were amazing!" She exclaimed excitedly, bounding up and down on her feet. The rest of your friends and family came to give compliments and to say how proud they were of you. Your chest began to fill with the familiar warmth of happiness and a slight edge of pride.

"Hey, how about to celebrate (Y/N)'s first big performance, we go out for some ice cream?" Everyone agreed with Eugene's idea, shouting 'yes' to the skies.

"I'm driving!" Cassandra called, the car keys jingling in her hands. Eugene then chased her down the sidewalk, insisting that he wanted to drive. Your family then followed them, your parents walking patiently while Rapunzel ran after her best friend and boyfriend.

You looked over to where you saw Varian, only to see that he was gone. He must've left after your performance, probably because your song was too painful for him to listen to.

Well, at least you taught him a well-deserved lesson about cheating and lying to your lover...