Chapter 4 Back to 1955

Marty's POV

I slam on the brakes as soon as I see the world around me change from 1985 to 1955. Lindsey gasps as she sees a barn in the distance.

"Marty!" She gasps, but I get the car stopped before we hit the barn. Old Man Peabody comes out and begins shouting at us. I shift the car into a different gear and pull away back out to the Lyon Estates sign where I parked about three weeks ago. Really, it was only a day or two ago here, but time has passed in 1985. I flip open the door and Lindsey looks around. "1955 looks boring," She says and I shake my head.

"You have no idea. When your whole existence is at stake, you have to learn to be careful," I say as I adjust my puffy vest. Oh boy, here come all of the comments about me being a sailor. 

"My whole existence isn't at stake. I'm just trying to fix the past so it is a happier time for me," Lindsey remarks as she checks over the car to make sure everything is still the way it should be.

"So, I'm guessing you know a lot about cars because of your dad?" I assume and Lindsey examines the engine.  

"Yeah, Dad had me working in the shop since I could be taught how to do things on the car," Lindsey says as she checks various things on the car over, "I studied somethings, but cars were my real school. Until I got to high school."

"Wish I could have done something like that. Done music instead of other school stuff," I say and Lindsey shakes her head.

"It's different when..." She starts and closes the lid of the car. Lindsey climbs up on top of the hood of the car and looks at me. She folds her hands and gently begins to fiddle with her thumbs.

"When what?" I ask and I think I see a tear roll down her cheek.

"Nothing, it's all in the past," She says and quickly wipes the tear away.

"At this point, it could be in the future," I remark and Lindsey nods.

"That's why I brought you here. You probably know how this works better than I do and you probably know how to keep both of us alive and existing. I need to change something here in the past," Lindsey says and I nod.

"I figured that's why we came back. What do you want to change?" I ask and Lindsey takes a deep breath.

"I want to keep my mother from dying," Lindsey says and I cock my head.

"Lindsey, if she died of something like child birth or something unpreventable like a medical condition, we can't stop that," I tell her but she shakes her head.

"No, she died of unnatural causes. Everyone says it was a car accident, but Dad and I both know that there is more to it than that," Lindsey tells me, "I came back to figure out who she was friends with or what she was involved in.  I am going to stop her from getting herself killed."

"There's only so much we can do with that. Besides, if we interfere with this too much, it could mess things up for everyone or someone else may wind up dead," I remind her.

"Are you just telling me to give up? I am not giving up on this. This is my mother's life and she is alive and well right now!" Lindsey shouts and I gently shush her.

"Keep it down," I whisper and the two of us look around nervously as a car drives by.

"We need to go into town and find my parents," Lindsey whispers and she sees the sign for Hill Valley, "Two miles? I can't even walk one!"

"It's really not that bad, let's get going. The sun will be up soon and there is still a me who is leaving for 1885 today to avoid," I say and the two of us walk towards town. The walk is silent for the most part, but the silence does not feel hostile like it did early. Maybe there is more to the Tannens than most people give them credit for. As we get closer to town, Lindsey looks at it with shock.