Tomorrow

During the past days I've been here, I haven't done much. I haven't been physically outside once, haven't really talked to anyone on the phone, haven't actually done my hair, haven't worn makeup; this list could go on. With that being said, I got up and went into my small, little bathroom. I brushed my hair and started French braiding it into a low ponytail. I put on some makeup and outside I headed. I sat down on the play ground swing. I'm not really sure why they built this structure because no one ever uses it. The residents inside are always much too sick. Anyway, I decided on calling my best friend Kylie. The phone rang and suddenly I heard her answer frantically. "Kendall? Hey! Are you okay? Is everything fine?"

"Yes, I'm as fine as I can be." I soothed. "Calm down. I just wanted to talk."

"Okie dokie," she said and I could hear her smile. "Want an update on the outside world?"

"Yes, please."

"Well, everyone at school knows about the wreck. They announced it on the intercom the day after. People niether of us know come up to me in the hallways and ask how you are. Sadly, I tell them that I haven't visited. By the way, when should I come?!" I knew Kylie well. I knew why she hadn't visited yet.

1.) She's scared of hospitals.

2.) She doesn't have much free time because of school and cheerleading.

And 3.) Kylie is a strong girl, but I've seen her when someone important to her has a medical issue. She becomes overwhelmingly clingy and she can't focus on anything else but that person. I don't want her to do that for me.

"Uhm," I started, "well you know, uh...."

"If you are trying to keep me away from you because you know me too well, then think again. I'm not just going to let you die there- that's....that's not what I meant." Kylie apologized.

"It's fine," I said even though it wasn't. I probably was going to die here. It's weird how I can remember Kylie so well, better than my own mother actually. I guess that's the thing about friendship; you can't stop being someone's best friend because they know entirely too much.

"No it's not," Kylie answered redirecting my mind back to the phone call.

"Really, it is. I just want to see you. Please come soon."

"Tomorrow?" Kylie asked still sounding upset for what she said. I know she didn't mean it, but she knows those aren't exactly good words to use for a person in the hospital.

"Tomorrow," I agreed.