chapter twenty

After Prime spoke with Klaus, she went to check on Pogo

After Prime spoke with Klaus, she went to check on Pogo. She wanted to ensure his wellbeing considering his emotional distress following Luther's tongue-lashing, and despite Prime's understanding of the reason for Pogo's lie, she felt he no longer had to maintain the charade.

Regardless of his mistreatment, Pogo had become appreciative of the life he now had.

Luther, who nearly died, may account for why Prime also felt indebted for their father. Her brother's miraculous survival was a sight to behold. However, the cause for their father sending Luther to the moon was apparent, as the emotional responses of anger and betrayal made sense in light of the situation.

For a period of four years, he remained stranded there, sending communications for nothing.

Prime knocked on the door to Pogo's room, and the door swung open upon her arrival. He glanced at her, unsure about her presence, then she smiled. "Hi, you always comfort me when I'm distressed, especially following Benny's death, so I thought I would come and see how you're doing if you're open to it."

He looked at her surprised by her unexpected arrival and opened his mouth to speak but closed it right away. "Pogo, I'm not angry at you, nor do I despise you," Prime reassured him.

"Ms. Prime, I would be most appreciative of your company," he said, his tone conveying genuine emotion.

He gestured her through the doorway, letting her inside his quarters. "Pogo, I understand that both of us have made questionable decisions, but I'm not here to cast blame solely on you. Please don't allow others to devalue you for your loyalty; you have worth beyond what they suggest." She settled onto his bed, letting out a sigh.

"Ms. Prime, you offer far more forgiveness than I deserve, considering the manipulation I subjected you to," he acknowledged. "I was aware of the discomfort the compulsion caused you, but I prioritized Mr. Hargreeves's orders," he added, his voice dropping with each word.

"I suspect that each family member harbored the opinion that father's instructions were imperative," Prime uttered, leaning back on a chair. "His reunion strategy was flawed, to say the least, but I suppose we all clung to the hope that he did genuinely care for us." She paused for a moment. "In spite of everything, I sometimes still hold the belief that he did cherish us."

"Mr. Hargreeves loved you all very much, each of you in equal measure," he reassured her.

"How can you say that? How can you be so sure?" I protested wanting to hear his answer

"I'm utterly convinced of my statement because I'm fully aware of how much he cared for all of you," he stated. "There was nothing more important to him than seeing you all prosper and be successful," he added, emphasising the last clause. Pogo rose from his chair and walked over to his closet, retrieving a small rectangular black box before extending it towards Prime. She regarded the object carefully as she reached for it, studying its exterior closely.