Chapter 12: Behind Those Blue Eyes

December 23.

Zayn's Pov~

Liam had been working hard on the farm since 7:30 this morning. I thought it would be nice if I headed to the diner to get him something to eat. It was the least I could do. He gave me a kiss before my departure and even let me drive his truck. I found it to be unbelievable that he would trust with me it after the tractor incident.

Another reason I wanted to go to the diner was because of Niall. I wanted to speak to him. I haven't seem him since the argument between him and Harry outside his home. Harry is returning tomorrow, along with my mom and if I could just get Niall to hear him out, maybe they could reconcile. I pulled up to the diner, locked the car doors and headed inside.

There Niall was. He stood behind the corner, elbow resting on the counter, using it as a support system to hold his head in his hands. He seemed pretty down. He's unaware that Harry left. I didn't want to be the barrer of bad news, but I really wanted to talk to him.

"Hi, Niall." I took a seat on the stool chair in front of him. He stood up straight.

"Oh, hey Zayn. What can I get you?"

"Well, I wasn't ready to order, yet. I actually came by to check up on you."

"If Harry sent you here, tell him I was fine before he came and I'll be fine when he leaves." Niall went into defense mode before I could even give him any type of news. The pain was written all over his face.

"Niall, please, I didn't come here on Harry's behalf. I really am worried about you."

Although I did come here with the intention of pleading for him and Harry to work things out, I felt it was best if I brought that up once he calmed down a bit.

"Oh...sorry. It's just, I feel so hurt. I'm more mad at Louis than Harry though. I should have seen it coming."

"What do you mean?" A curious look fell upon my face.

"Well, Louis and I aren't exactly strangers to one another. We go to the same uni and this would actually be the second time he has tried to steal a guy from me. I had no idea it was his party we were attending, until I saw him open the door. At that point, it was too late to turn back and I really wanted to try to enjoy myself for Harry's sake. I may be Irish and drinking may be in blood, but I wasn't comfortable enough at the party to stick around in the kitchen during the drinking game. I should have stayed though. I left him wide open for Louis to go for it."

Niall sighed and leaned back against the counter. I sat there, stunned at the news. I tried taking it all in.

"I had no idea. I'm sorry, Niall. What Harry did was very irresponsible. I don't know what his intentions were, but I can promise you that he has never pulled anything like that before. Harry and I aren't quite seeing eye to eye now. He actually left back to England without me."

"What?" Niall looked defeated. His jaw dropped a little.

"I know. I was shocked too. He packed up and left without me even knowing. That's part of the reason I was here. I wanted to tell you that he'll be back tomorrow with my mom. I guess he didn't think his plan all the way through because my family is celebrating Christmas with Simon, so he has to be there. I was really hoping you two could patch things up."

"I-I don't know." Niall looked down.

"Look," resting my hand on his. "I know it's only been a couple of days, so I won't pressure you to do anything; but, think about it. That's all I'm suggesting."

He smiled at me, weakly. He gave me a little hope though.

"Now, about that food." We both smiled.

(Third Person)~

The day had gone by; night surfaced. Zayn, Liam, and Uncle Simon sat in the living room, enjoying each other's company and watching "Footloose." The day was slowly coming to an end and Zayn was eager to see his cousin again. Whether a positive outcome, or negative, was headed its' way, Zayn just wanted Harry there. He smiled at Liam; Liams lips pressed against Zayn's temple, then focused their eyes back on the television.