Chapter 1: The day death came

It was sunday morning, mom was talking on the phone. We just got the news, Grandma died.

Let me explain, she was ill for a very long time. Like, ill ill. She had cancer. The illness you dont want anyone to have. Although i didnt like her, she didnt deserved this either. Mom was trying to arrange everything for her funeral. Shes so phatetic about these things. She just died 2 hours ago and she is already trying to get the best deals on grave stones and receptions and stuff like that. Well, i understand though, it's expensive and we don't have much money, and since there is no other family left, she has to pay for every little bit of it.

"Ellen? Are you upstairs?" ...

I heard her calling me but i wasn't in the mood to talk right now, so i pretended to be asleep. As the door opened i heard momma cough, i could hear the sadness through it. Poor mom. She sighted.

"oh well, my poor little baby, she must miss her grandma so badly..."

As she closed the door i jumped out of my bed and checked the hallway if everything was clear. I ran up to the badroom and closed the door. As i looked into the mirror i was shocked. Im such a mess! I dont understand, i never liked grandma but still, im so sad. I know im not sad for myself, but more for momma, grandma was the only one she had left besides me. Now thats gone and im the only one she has left to rely on. And i know i could be stubborn sometimes, well most of the times.

2 hours earlier, at grandma's house.  ( written in grandma's mind)

I heard doors slammin', wind blowing across the small front garden. It was dark. Im afraid of the dark. Afraid of what is happening next, I dont feel well. I wanted to call my daughter Chyntia, but then her snotty little annoyance would come with her and i dont want her around. No, i'm not going to call Chyntia.

I felt a stabbing pain into my chest, i knew it was the cancer, i had breast cancer, i knew no one would ever be able to cure it. I know i wouldnt have much time left. But would this be the end already? I felt dizzy, and everything was getting dark, even darker then it already was. I heard footsteps fading, i heard screaming. Who was there, is it Chyntia? No its not... it's Margareth! Is it Margareth? What is she doing her, why isnt she sleeping.

Margareth was my neighbour, a lovely person. Always prepared to be a helping hand in need.

I heard her scream and cry for my name. But i didnt listen. I was so in trance, i was zen. Totally Zen, i felt like sleeping. And then i knew i needed to go. It was my time. No suffer, no pain. Just peace and nothing more then peace...

Back to ellen's house and Ellen's thoughts, 4 days later, at the funeral:

"Mom... Was she in pain?" I asked mommy while looking at her with my big puppy teared eyes.

She sighed and answered  "No sweetie, she found her peace now."

I smiled through my tears. I still find it very strange, i never thought i would give a shit when granny passed. But strangely i do. I was looking at the beautifully cutted wood of the coffin grandma was in. It is actually a sad thing isn't is? When you die, you get crammed into a coffin and then they burry you god knows how many metres under the ground, and a few years later, when you can't pay for you're "spot" on the graveyard anymore, they dump you in the carbage... Yeah it is pretty sad. While her coffin, covered in flowers and memories, got hoisted under the ground, i knew a totally new live would begin. Everything has changed... it's sad Soraya couldnt be here, she is on vacation with her parents. I wish i could be as happy and as lucky as her