Chapter 5

I focused as hard as I could on not moving within my seat, and had succeeded for most of the rehearsal. Maestro Hagiwara still had to warn me about it during the intermission, but I felt like I was doing much better in the second half. While briefly resting from the tough measures a few songs after the intermission, I glanced out into the audience to see Osomatsu holding up a camcorder towards me. I gave him a small smile before focusing back on the sheet music and bringing up my violin to my shoulder, drawing the bow across the strings as the violin section picked up again. A few songs passed and the orchestra was starting to head into the finale, which we had selected the 1812 Overture. This was one of my favorite pieces to play, despite not having much of a spotlight in it. The stagehands had set up small fireworks to accompany the large drums, so it was fitting for a grand finale.

We started the piece and slowly built up the tension, with the horns playing the French anthem in the advancement. With energy, the piece slowly built up to the horns blasting the main theme and the fireworks launching in time as the mock 'cannon blasts'. We had gone through this several times in rehearsal, but it was still fun to watch the glimpses of the faces in the crowd react to the fireworks. As the bells chimed out the Russian victory in a slow and deliberate manner, the horns quickly picked up the French anthem and more fireworks shot off. As the ones closest me shot off, I felt a sudden heat in my right upper leg but I shrugged it off as ash from a firework that drifted down to close to us. It never happened before in the other live rehearsals and we were told that the powder was supposed to burn up more than ten feet above us, before it could even touch us.

The piece finished with a flourish, and the conductor turned to take a bow. I happily looked out to where I saw Osomatsu before the finale, but he was gone. I figured that he had recorded my performance and would show it off to the others later on tonight. When the conductor motioned for all of us to stand and bow, I couldn't move my right leg. I moved my hand down to where I still felt the burn, which kept getting worse. It pulled away with red liquid dripping down the palm.

Blood...it's blood. I'm hurt...!

Without trying to make much of a scene, I looked for Franky and motioned for him to help me up, a strained smile on my face. I couldn't let others know that I'd been injured, the blood hopefully hidden enough against the black fabric of my pants. As he moved closer, I could see realization on his face and make a call over the radio. He swiftly picked me up with my right leg pressed hard against his chest, starting to stain his white business shirt red under the black jacket.

"Ma'am, I'm taking you to safety. I'll deal with the conductor at a later time," He commented sternly, not giving me any kind of room for discussion. Franky hurriedly carried me to his armored sedan, lay me on the back bench, and instructed me to press his jacket against the wound as he rushed into the driver's seat, only wearing the blood-stained shirt. I could hear faint yelling and screaming on the earpiece he had. Something bad must've happened, and I could only hope that my brothers were okay. As the car started moving, the burning became worse and turned into a sharp stabbing pain unlike anything I've felt before as my heart began to race from the adrenaline.

"Oh my God -- Franky, have I been shot?!" I tried to hold back from screaming but the pain was too much, "I thought it was just firework powder that burnt...through my skin--aahhh!!" I yelled as Franky hit a speed bump, jostling my wound.

"I've informed your brothers of what's happened. Ichimatsu is waiting for you at home, and Osomatsu and Jyushimatsu will be there shortly," Franky relayed calmly what was being screamed over the radio. Now the huge fuss I heard made sense. I'd been shot, and all of my brothers knew about it. I tried to remember what I saw before I felt the sudden burn.

"Osomatsu...I saw him in the crowd with a camcorder," I reported, knowing that info now would help if I couldn't recall after the anesthesia was in my system, "I saw him in the crowd by the...the right exit. He was holding what I thought was a camcorder...in his left hand..."