Ch.13 - Dull Mysteries

<B - The sunlight was gently filling the room as dawn invaded the night sky. The empty fields were illuminated by the gentle light of the sun, giving them a golden tone that slowly spread throughout the vacant lands. Dawn was the only time of the day where I could feel truly calm, where the gentle wind and complete silence would make me feel refreshed. I've always loved to get up early in the morning, even when I was younger. It was like nothing in the world could touch or harm me.

Then I felt something weighing on my shoulder. I looked to my left to find the owner of that head (Claire) drooling all over me and mumbling. I cleaned the saliva off her mouth and my shirt while trying not to wake her up. Daniel and her weren't used to waking up at two in the morning, so it was understandable how quickly they fell asleep the moment they sat on the train's room. Daniel was mostly if not deeper into REM than Claire, only difference was that he was occupying a fourth of the table with his unconscious body. "I don't need coffee, I can stay up as much as I want!" is what he told me a few minutes before dropping out of the waking world.

There was something that I still found confusing in that situation. Why was Daniel with us? He agreed so easily to come with us, even under the knowledge that Samantha was going along. Was his connection with Francis that strong as to make him bear being with the person he loathes? Whatever his reasons, he wasn't complaining about her so I thought it wasn't a serious issue for now.

The only person awake besides me in the room was Arthur, since Samantha went out to get something to eat. It wasn't long before he realized I was staring at him, so he stop looking through the window and started talking with me.>

A - (Oh, I didn't notice that you were awake.)

B - (Mhm.)

A - (It been three hours since we departed from the station. Did you manage to get some shut-eye?)

B - (I don't need to; I wake up fairly early in the morning already, so I don't need to sleep now.)

A - (That makes two of us. Dawn is so much better than the rest of the day, right?)

B - (I can agree on that. Wait a minute...)

A - (Hm? Is something wrong?)

B - (Well... I think it's the first time I've ever heard you talk about yourself.)

<B - Arthur sat silently for a minute and looked at the ceiling, as if he was trying to remember something. It took him a few seconds to come with whatever conclusion he was searching for.>

A - (Hey, you're right! When we're together we only focus on you, don't we?)

B - (Don't you think it's time you tell me a little about yourself?)

A - (Hm...)

B - (I mean, it's only fair if you think that you know my entire life already.)

A - (I suppose you have a point there. Welp, what do you want to know?)

B - (Well, how about-)

S - Hey guys, I'm back.

<B - Arthur and I turned towards Samantha, who was standing on the door to our room holding a plastic tray with cups of coffee and a bunch of donuts on it. Right then I heard what appeared to be an annoyed grumble coming from the sleeping beauties.>

B - (Shh.)

S - (Oh, crap, sorry!)

<B - Samantha covered her flustered mouth to prevent any further noise from escaping her. It's not like it was going to help to keep the noise down, but she look adorable doing that so I didn't want to be the one to tell her otherwise.>