Chapter 15: The Big Reveal

Emily sat in the back, Axel next to her. She tried to move closer to him but he only shrugged further away. Slumping back in her seat, she looked out the window and watched as they passed by colorful autumn trees.

Aiden, smiling smugly in the drivers seat, turned the knob on the radio panel. He watched the couple in the back glare at him in distaste as rock music blared from the speakers.

"Just trying to clear the awkward silence."

He put his hands in the air in a defensive gesture. They hit a bump and the car swerved a little. Aiden slapped his hands on the steering wheel and jerked the car back to the middle of the lane, just barely missing a mailbox.

"Keep your hands on the steering wheel!"

"Yeah! Are you trying to get us all killed?"

They both yelled at him from the back, clutching the overhead handles.

Aiden chuckled.

"Don't get your panties in a twist. We're fine, see?"

He lifted his hands away from the steering wheel again.

"Stop it!"

He chuckled again, resting his hands back on the wheel.

"Douchebag."

Aiden pulled over and hopped out of the car

Aiden pulled over and hopped out of the car. Emily watched as he walked up the steps and ringed on the doorbell.

"Emily, what happened last night?"

Emily pulled her gaze away from Aiden being hugged by Penelope at the doorstep. In that moment, they looked perfect together. She saw Axel with a look of frustration on his face.

"I swear, Axel, we did nothing."

"Are you telling the truth? Because the way you just looked at my brother makes me think otherwise."

Emily's eyes widened. How was she looking at Aiden?

"Believe me, we only talked."

"But you went to his room. Don't tell me you like my brother."

He looked at her with concern. He didn't want to lose another girlfriend to his jerk of a brother.

"What? No, I do not  like your brother. Not in the slightest. I hate him, actually. He's a jerk. Why, do you think he likes me?"

She bit her index finger to keep herself from talking. She was rambling nervously. She looked back to Aiden and saw him pressing Penelope against her front door in a heated make-out session. Axel turned and saw them too.

"Yeah, I don't think he likes you."

Emily noticed Axel starting at them, no, staring at Penelope, with sadness. She grabbed his hand in an attempt to comfort him.