Chapter 33: A Meaningful Kiss

Aiden pulled the motorcycle up to one of his favorite places. His soft solitude. The trees towered over them, covering their entrance. He stopped the vehicle, turning it off and kicking out the stand.

Emily removed her hands from Aiden's waist, watching as he lifted himself off the bike. He held his hand out for her to take. She grabbed his warm, large hand.

Getting off the bike, she swayed into his arms as she tried finding her balance. He chuckled, wrapping his arms around her and swaying back as he caught her.

She smiled, he was her support.

Hugging him back, she gazed up at his face. It was dark, but she could still make out his sparkling eyes.

"Where are we?" she asked.

His eyes lit up in pure, childlike excitement.

"I'll show you," he gushed, gripping her hand and moving toward the woods.

She laughed at his energy. He glanced back as they moved at a rushed pace through the uneven terrain. She heard a laugh escape him as well, and soon they were both playfully giggling as they ran.

A little further into the woods, Emily began to see an illuminated space growing larger.

She gasped, slowing down her pace.

They walked into a canopy of blue spruces, surrounding a large firepit. Warm lights decorated the trees, filling the space with a cozy aura. A blanket lay on a grassy space next to the pit. The blanket from their music festival date.

"Do you like it?" Aiden asked from beside her, still holding her hand.

Her eyes watered.

"I love it. You did this?" she breathed out, grasping his hand tighter.

"Yep," he replied, staring at the lights, proud that his efforts made his girl happy.

His eyes widened in surprise at the impact of her warm body colliding into his side. He felt her arms wrap around him, squeezing his waist. He accepted the embrace, holding her fully in his arms.

"Thank you," she whispered into his chest.

He smiled, placing his lips on top of her head.

"It was all worth it," he whispered back.

For her, he would go to the moon and back, just to see her smiling face when he returned.

They held one another for a few minutes, reveling in each other's warmth.

As they continued their embrace, both not wanting to break away, an intense emotion crossed Aiden. Words choked at him, demanding to escape the back of his throat. He knew it had been there all along, growing steadily with every moment next to her.

"Emily?" Aiden asked, feeling his palms start to sweat and his heart race at lightning speed.

He wanted to tell her. He needed to tell her. It was the right time.

She hummed in response, silently allowing him to continue.

He swallowed, gripping her shoulders and pulling her back so he could see her beautiful face. She gazed up at him with question-filled eyes.

"Emily," he spoke a little deeper than normal, shifting his feet.

Just spit it out, he urged himself. Pushing back his fears at her reaction, he grounded himself, determination flickering in his chocolate irises.

"I love you."

He held his breath as he watched the emotions cross her features. What started as pure shock transformed quickly into happiness, then wavered down to sadness. Before he could question it, she put on a brave smile as small tears began to trickle down her cheeks. He didn't know what to make of her contradicting features, but he was beginning to regret confessing his feelings.

"I love you too," she whispered quietly, a soft pain in her tone.

Emily was overwhelmed with emotions. She was so happy, she wanted to rejoice. But then, she wanted to scream. Guilt pulsed through her veins, ripping at her heart. She didn't want to break his heart too. She truly loved him. Maybe that's why it hurt so much.

"Then why are you crying?" he asked, raising his hands to her face and wiping away her tears. His eyes held deep concern.

She smiled as his large, slightly calloused thumbs rubbed gently under her eyes. She laughed a little, sniffling. More tears dripped down, coating his fingers in the salty liquid.

"Am I? I just... love you so much," she answered.

It hurt. Her heart. Of everything, she didn't want to crush him. With each passing second, her hate for the plan grew. Nothing was worth breaking his innocent heart. Not even Axel.

"I wish we could run away together," she whispered.

"Why?"

She sighed, leaning her cheek against his hand.

"Don't you just want to get away from it all?" she asked.

He pulled her into a hug, cuddling her close.

"If that's what you want, I'd go to the ends of the earth with you," he hummed.

She laughed into his chest, the tears wiping away on the fabric of his shirt.

"Let's make a promise," he offered. "When we've both finished high school, we can run away together. You just give me the word and we'll leave."

She allowed herself to smile at his acceptance of her wild fantasy. Her heart soared at his suggestion. Escaping her mother... the drama... it all sounded like a dream. A perfect proposal.

"Okay, let's do it!"

Aiden chuckled at her excitement.

"We need to make it official. Let's kiss on it," she suggested, a confident boldness streaking her voice.

"You read my mind," he grinned, leaning down and planting a soft kiss on her lips.

She smiled.

"Not quite," she commented, grabbing the sides of his head and pulling him to her lips in a passionate kiss.