Persistence of vision

We've been stuck in the Delta Quadrant for almost 6 months. We'd come across many civilisations, planets and alien species. We almost got blown up a few times- that was exciting (not!). Mydiary has also been full of counselling sessions, though most of the crew justcome in for some food, a drink and a chat.

"So Samantha, how has your week been?" I asked before eating some of my chicken noodle soup.

"It's been good thank you. How about you?" she asked.

"Busy, but it's always nice to help people." I replied.

She smiled and asked "Can I tell you something?"

I nodded and said "Sure."

"I'm pregnant."

My mouth dropped open and I said "Shut the front door!"

"It's true."

"Oh my...congratulations!"

She smiled and said "Thank you."

"How far along are you?" I asked.

"The doctor recons I'm around 2 months. I'm having another scan later today."

"You'll have to let me know how it..."

"Bridge to Counsellor Roberts"

"Go ahead." I said.

"Please report to the bridge. We're about to make contact with the Botha and I need you here."

"I'm on my way. Roberts out."

Samantha sighed and said "Rain check?"

I nodded and said "Rain check."

I grabbed my PADD, walked out of my room and made my way to the bridge. When I walked in, the Captain was talking to a Bothan representative.

"I'm Kathryn Janeway of the Federation Starship Voyager."

"Why have you entered our space without permission?" he asked.

"We didn't realise that this was your space. On what basis do you claim it?" she asked.

"I have no intention of explaining myself to you. The fact is; you're violating our territory." He said.

"I assure you, we mean no disrespect. We are from another part of the galaxy. We're just trying to make our way home." I said, stepping forward.

"And who are you?" he asked.

"Counsellor Marie Roberts. I'm the diplomatic representative on this ship." I replied.

He nodded and said "We'll send a ship to rendezvous with you. If you meet the criteria, we'll consider your request."

"Thank you. What are the criteria?" I asked.

"We'll discuss that when we meet." He said before cutting off the transmission.

"Friendly fellow." Tom said, turning to face us.

"At least they're willing to talk." The Captain said.

"I wonder why he wouldn't let us see his face." Harry said.

"I suspect it was a calculated move. An attempt to intimidate us. Commander, you have the Bridge." She said.

"Aye Captain."

"Mr. Neelix, Miss Roberts, join me in my ready room. We should talk about this meeting." The Captain said.

"Captain, if I may. What was the last time you ate?" Neelix asked.

"Ate? Oh, I had some soup last night." She replied.