Chapter 3

•February 28th•

It's finally time for me to pack my bags to go to the city. It took 2 suitcases to hold my clothes, some baby stuff, and other stuff I thought I might need. My OB referred me to a doctor that she knew in the city, so all my future appointments will be there.

My flight leaves at noon and it is currently 10:45. My mom brought my bags downstairs because apparently pregnant people are incapable of doing that.

"Please be safe with my grand-baby." My mom said embracing me in a hug.

"I will." I said.

I said goodbye to my family and soon after my Uber arrived. It was only a 15 minute ride to the airport and everything was hitting me. I'm leaving my hometown, while almost 6 months pregnant, to go work with the New York Yankees. And I'm doing this all by myself.

I boarded the plane with the first group, because they let pregnant people and people with children on the plane first. I got into my seat, which was near the front of the plane because I wasn't about to be winded by walking all the way to the back of the plane.

•a few hours later•

"Attention all passengers, we will be landing at JFK in five minutes."

I continued to stare out the window as we got closer to the ground. It felt like forever to get out of the plane because people took their sweet time getting their overhead bags.

I walked off the plane and to baggage claim to collect my bags. I got a few stares as I walked away with my two bags. I found the taxi area and waved one down. I told the driver to take me to my new apartment. Once I got there I went to the front desk and told them that I was a new tenant. She gave me the key after I signed the papers and I headed to the elevators. I dragged my suitcases into the elevator and pressed the number 6 to get to my floor. I walked up to my apartment, number 632, and unlocked the door. I stepped inside to a warm, cozy apartment, just as I had planned it with the interior designers.

 I stepped inside to a warm, cozy apartment, just as I had planned it with the interior designers

I set my bags just inside the door, and locked the door behind me. I walked into my bedroom and admired it, and then walked into my daughter's nursery. I took a deep breath, taking in everything in the room. I held my belly while looking at the flowers on the walls.

I opened the dresser drawer and pulled out a newborn outfit with ladybugs on it

I opened the dresser drawer and pulled out a newborn outfit with ladybugs on it. I smiled, excited to see what she would look like in it. I was interrupted by my phone ringing. I picked it up to see who the caller was.

NYY Organization
Accept / Decline
"Accept"

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hi this is Taylor Miller, right?" I immediately recognized the voice as Aaron Boone.

"Yes it is."

"Great, can we have you come in for 10 tomorrow morning?"

"Sure, I'll be there!"

"Okay thank you."

We said our goodbyes and I hung up the phone. I spent the rest of the day unpacking.

•The Next Day•

I woke up at 8:30 and got ready. I took a shower, did my hair and makeup, and wore maternity jeans with an oversized Yankee jersey that still struggled to fit over my belly.

I made it to the stadium at 9:50.  I had no clue where I was going, so I made my way to the nearest office to ask for directions. I was approaching one when I heard someone call my name behind me. I turned around and it was Boone.

"Hi nice to meet you!" I said shaking his hand.

"Nice to meet you too. Shall I have you meet the players?"

"Of course!" I exclaimed.

He took me down a series of hallways and stairs until we reached the clubhouse. He opened the door and the players and their belongings were scattered across the room. Some of them looked at me and smiled but most of them didn't realize anyone had walked in.

"Boys!" Boone yelled to get their attention.

"This is Taylor Miller, your new head athletic trainer. Taylor would you like to tell them a little bit about you?" Boone asked.

"Sure, uh, well obviously my name is Taylor. I've been an athletic trainer at the collegiate level for almost four years, and this is my first time working with a professional team. I'm also very pregnant." I said and some of them laughed at the last sentence.

They all introduced themselves to me, and then Boone showed me my office.