Chapter 14

I woke up to Alaina crying in her room. I picked up my phone to check the time and it was only 4 in the morning. I got out of my warm bed and the cool air nipped at my legs. I went into her room and picked her up, and then changed her diaper and sat with her in the rocking chair in her room. She seemed to have calmed down after that and was just looking up at me in the dark. I heard movement in the other room and soon Aaron stood in the doorway.

"Everything okay?" He asked rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah, just had to change her diaper." I said quietly.

I stood up and put her back in her crib and turned around to Aaron right behind me. I looked up at him and smiled, and then leaned in for a kiss. The kiss got more intense than I expected as his hands found their way under my tank top and pulled me closer. I wrapped my hands around his neck after finally pulling away.

"We should go to bed." I whispered and that smirk that made me fall for him in the first place spread across his lips.

"Yeah we should."

Aaron followed me back into bed, getting as close to me as possible and embracing me in his heavy arms.

•5:56 a.m.•

The baby monitor went off again, and Aaron got up before my feet even touched the floor.

"I've got it babe." He said hurrying into the other room.

Moments later he walked back into the room with Alaina over his shoulder, still crying.

"Is she hungry?" He asked.

"Probably." I said extending my hands out to grab her.

I layed back down in bed and fed her for a few minutes while I scrolled through my phone, and she seemed to be happy. After I finished feeding her I burped her and put her in the bassinet beside my bed, putting one of her blankets over her and watched as she slowly fell asleep.

•10:00 a.m.•

I've been up since 6, and I only got about 3 hours of sleep due to Alaina having a rough night. I curled up on the chair in my room with my daughter in my arms because I didn't want to wake Aaron with my tossing and turning. I rested my head in one of my hands and watched as Aaron slowly woke up. He turned over to see that I was missing and immediately sat up in bed and looked around the room. Once he layed his eyes on me he sighed.

"Couldn't sleep?" He asked.

"No." I replied.

"Why didn't you wake me?"

"I didn't want to keep you up, trust me it's not fun. I'm exhausted." I said repositioning Alaina onto my shoulder.

"C'mere." He said opening up the blankets for me to climb in.

I padded across the room and layed next to him in bed, putting Alaina between us.

"I knew you were pregnant when I first noticed you. I mean, it was hard to miss. And when I asked you to be my girlfriend I knew what I was getting myself into. If I wanted to be with you I also had to be there for her, and I'm so glad I chose to. You don't have to worry about keeping me up, or bugging me or any of that. That's what I'm here for." He finished talking while holding Alaina's tiny hand.