Part 2 - When They Fall

Year 2030

I woke up to my mother screaming my name. She barges into my room and throws the door to my closet over. She grabs my pre-packed bag and throws it on my bed.

"Its time to go," She says with fear lacing her voice, "The bombs have fallen in Canada, and I received a message from Agent Smith. We are next."

"Mom, I can't go. I can't leave you behind," I whimper as she pulls my arm. I sit up and she digs into the bag looking for my key. "Aryah, I told you to sign the contract, to take the key. I want you to go, to carry on our bloodline. Even more, I want you to live."

"Mom, the rest of my life will be spent in the bunker."

"It's better than being dead," My mom smiles sadly. I nod, knowing there is nothing I can say.

I get up and throw on a pair of leggings, and grab my final necessary things. The picture of me and my father when I was young before he left for the Army. I throw it in my bag and we run. I glance at my bookshelf. I will have free time for the next so many years of my life. I grab another bag and fill it with as many books as I possibly can. We dash out the door of the apartment, down the stairs, and into the car. I see people rushing to evacuate, but I know there is nowhere they can go. My mom starts driving toward the address Agent Smith sent us before I woke up.

Oh my god...

It's happening. The world is ending. I'm going to be in a bunker for the rest of my life. Everyone I know is going to die. Thoughts swarm my mind as I try to ground myself. What if I don't survive the ride. I'm going to live in a bunker, have sex with one of the males and give birth to a child. My child, the seed to a new life. When they are old enough they will have children, and those children will open the door to a new world.

"How far away is it mom?" I ask as we get on the interstate.

"An hour away."

"Mom, I'm going to die in there. I'm going to go in, have sex with one or many of those boys, give birth, then die."

"Honey, don't think like that. You're going to go in, you are going to fall in love, you are going to bear his child, you are going to raise one or two wonderful children. You are going to teach them wonderful things. You are going to grow old, then you will die in peace."

I cry in silence. There is nothing I can do. I stare out the window as the car flies down the highway. No one is driving in this direction, towards Canada AKA North. I glance to the other side of the highway and scream as I see someone crash into the powerlines. Our car swerves from my mother's terror. She glances in the mirror and her face pales. The powerline crashes into the ground, landing on a running car.

"We need you safe and you aren't safe until you are in that bunker," She says before pressing down harder on the gas. I watch as the speedometer flies up to 100 miles per hour. I clutch on my seatbelt as we fly down the highway. I press the power button on the radio, but no music comes on. News reports of the bombs coming in on Canada. I turn the radio back off. I want to fall asleep but terror fills my mind.

"In one mile take the Exit 258 towards Yadkinville," The cars navigation system chimes.

Mom begins to break so she can take the exit, and it begins to sprinkle. The sprinkling rain soon turns to a downpour. Mom watches as other cars speed around us, and we begin to fill with anxiety.

"Turn left in 500 feet," The car chime again and begin to break. We turn but the car fishtails against the wet mud, but mom gains control. She slowly drives the car down the road. Alarms start to blare on our phone.