9. Wonderland

The stool began to get uncomfortable, and after some time about contemplating the effort of getting home at this hour with the arguments that followed was not worth it

The stool began to get uncomfortable, and after some time about contemplating the effort of getting home at this hour with the arguments that followed was not worth it. So, I slowly hop off the stool, hugging myself from the open window's cool breeze which began to set in.

I look up at the staircase, sigh and give in. I walk up the many stairs which then reveal a clean and crisp second level. It's so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. My crossed arms do not leave my body, serving as some sort of protective barrier.

As I walk towards the end, I peep into each room I pass by. A bathroom, an office, and a locked room. I keep walking down trying to find the spare bedroom.

It's not until the very end of the level which an open door leads me into an empty bedroom. It feels like a hotel room, with its empty wardrobe, clean desk and made up bed. Sitting on the bed were two pieces of grey clothing and some toothpaste and a toothbrush.

I pick up the items and breathe in deeply. It just hit me. Everything that has happened today, was not a dream. I won't wake up tomorrow in my own room from a nightmare. I will wake tomorrow in Kellan's home with no clue of what I'm doing or where I am.

It scared me.

I clutch the items close to me as I quickly make my way to the bathroom, trying to make as little sound as possible.

I quickly brush my teeth and splash my face with water. I brush my fingers through my hair and change into the grey sweatpants and long sleeve top.

When I make my way to the bedroom, just as I'm about to shut the door I hear, "Hey one second Alexandria". Kellan's voice booms in the empty hallway, causing me to jump a little. I peep outside my doorway, and there Kellan was walking towards me.

"Uh, hey just thought I'd let you know..." he pauses for a second as he approaches me.

I step back a little, and eventually make eye contact with him. "Yes?"

"Um, it's a 6am wake up" he gulps and finishes with "goodnight" as he walks back to what I thought was the locked room.

I let out the biggest breath I didn't realise I was holding. I shut the door, turn off the light and try to sleep with my million screaming thoughts.

~~~~

Bang. Bang. Bang.

I shot straight up, the loud banging against the door frightening me out of sleep. I look over at the digital clock which peacefully sat upon the small bedside table. Six on the dot.

I remove the quilt and rub my eyes, yawning a little.

I sit at the edge of the bed trying to wake up. As I stand up and look around at my surroundings I take a moment to think to myself; I could be two things...the scared and timid Alexandria everyone expects me to be. Or, I could be strong, incredible and mesmerising. Just like the Urbanian wolves in the folklore story. Even though the thought of it frightens me to my core.