4. Cold Tea & Toast

He said my full name, this couldn't be good

"Isaiah?" my eyebrows crunched asking him to please explain this entire situation.

He sighs and shuts his eyes briefly as if telling me to buckle up for the ride that is going to be the news I'm about to hear.

"Give your parents a call, Ria, tell them they're needed at the café. Okay?" his eyes plead mine, asking me to just go along and not to argue. I nod and pull out my phone, with a shaky hand, from my bag and open my father's number.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

I look up and observe my surroundings. Isaiah protecting me from the large men, the large men guarding Kellan, and Kellan...without a care in the world...casually looking at me.

I was shaking, my ear to the phone, and the only thing I can focus on is Kellan's very, intriguing yet intimidating sculpted face. Something inside of me just wanted to scream and hit him. But I just take a breath and keep a collected stance. I was not allowing anyone here get the better of me.

"Hello?" my father's voice pulls me out of my trance. I shake my head and concentrate on his voice. "Is everything okay?" he asks, while I still stand with my mouth half open, not knowing what to say.

Isaiah's eyes widen slightly, signalling me to answer my father. "Ria? Are you there?" one last time I look up at Kellan and regret what I see. His crossed arms and filthy smirk smeared across his face just made me feel even sicker.

"Uh..um..d-dad" I finally spit out. I take a few breaths, my mind going wild as it panics and tries to find the words to tell my father what is going on.

After a few 'ums' my father sighs and asks "What is going on Ria? Are you okay?". Those two questions, mixed with whatever was going on inside my head and adding Kellan and everyone around me to the mix was a recipe strong enough to make me say the words I've never had the guts to say before.

"No...I'm not okay, Dad. You need to come to the café. You and mom. Please".

The energy around me was so tense. I clutch onto my bag, knuckles turning white, waiting for my father's reply. Everyone around me could probably hear my loud heart pumping.

"I'll be right there, Ria" is all my dad said before hanging up the phone. I remove the phone from my ear and carefully place it back inside my bag. I turn to face Isaiah with wide eyes. I don't know how long I can keep holding my breath.

"So...can I at least have my tea and toast?" I ask, with a shred of sarcasm in my tone.

~~~~

Fifteen minutes have passed, and we've only managed to move from a very intense standing scene to an even more awkward seated one. Isaiah sat next to me, across from him the big guys dressed in black. And then across from me, Kellan. He sits with his back comfortably against the chair, arms crossed, and his body allowing himself to indulge in the space that surrounds him. While I, sit very still and ready to jump at the next sound, with my cold toast and tea placed in front of me.

Kelly had just finished asking the last customers to kindly leave when my parents stomp in with every worry in the world shown in their eyes. My father makes eye contact with me, and his face sunk as he probably saw my pale expression.

Kellan stands up and walks around the table in front of me, blocking my view of my parents.

"A lawyer? Really Tarbell? I honestly thought you were more creative than that"

My father shoves his hands in his pocket and looks towards Kellan with a very scary and stern look. One I've never seen before.

"Yes, Kellan, a lawyer. It has seemed to work for almost eighteen years, right?"

"Almost."

He steps away from me and signals towards me.

"But we still found her. And just before her eighteenth birthday, and your stepping down ceremony. I love a good coincidence".

This conversation was beyond anything that made sense. I look at Isaiah for some answers but he just shook his head, as a plead for me to just sit tight.

"Why don't we know about her? You know that whatever happens to your pack, could affect mine" he continues.

My father nods and just says, "She's almost eighteen and she hasn't shifted, I don't even know if she has the gene".

"Clearly not Tarbell. I mean look at her, she's the most timid and lost person I've ever met".

A very harsh blow. But I just sat there, as confused as ever.

"You didn't even tell her one thing, I don't understand" Kellan continues to argue.

I'm someone who enjoys the company of minimal people and lots of books. It's hard to get a decent conversation out of me. I'm not good with confrontation, and I get very uncomfortable when people even mention my name in conversation.

So, you could probably imagine how sick, confused and stressed I was feeling in this situation. With all eyes on me. I hated this feeling.

"So, what's it going to be Tarbell? Are you going to tell her, or am I?"

~~~~~

Even I was sweating writing this chapter! But I love where it's going so far.

Let me know what you guys think!

Vote/Comment/Share

-G