six

i wandered through the forest, brushing my fingers across the trunks of the trees as i walked past them. there had been a storm last night, and as i approached the edge of the forest, i saw the destruction it caused. leaves were scattered everywhere, and the thinner tree trunks had snapped. i itched my face, scratching some of the dried clay and blood off that jack had spread across my cheeks and nose.

the boys had gone hunting this morning, and i didn't feel like joining them, so i walked across the beach, hoping to bump into simon. sure enough, i found him on the top of the mountain, watching the waves below. i bit the inside of my cheek and wandered over to him.

"hi." i said weakly behind him. he looked up at me and for a second i thought he was angry. but then he smiled, and i smiled back, sitting down next to him.

"hey." he replied. he poked my cheek. "they painted you."

"yeah." i breathed, picking at the clay. "i couldn't really stop them."

he twisted his mouth to the side. "they're going crazy." he stated quietly. the wind blew softly as i sighed.

"i know." i nodded. "going on about a pig, all the time. it's.. scary." i looked down.

"why'd you join them, then?" simon asked. i hesitated.

"i didn't really have a choice. jack is so.." i trailed off, trying to find the words.

"intimidating? controlling? scary?" simon chuckled softly. i smiled.

"all of the above." i giggled. he picked at the grass as he grinned. we were quiet for a while.

"he's just one of those people. i don't think i'm on any side, really. because here i am, talking to you. and i'll help ralph with the fire. but i'll also hang out with jack, and i'll sharpen the spears with maurice. it's a tough one. i'm just in the middle." i nodded. he looked at me.

"do you hunt with them?" he asked.

"no. ew. no." i shook my head. "i couldn't."

he nodded. "i understand."

we watched the waves below us crash against the side of the island.

"what do you miss most about home?" simon spoke gently.

"hm.. probably sleeping in an actual bed. or tea. oh, how i could use a cup of tea right now." i sighed dreamily. "what about you?"

"toast."

"..toast?" i laughed.

"i love it. it's so easy yet so filling." he nodded. "when we get rescued, i'm gonna eat all the toast i can find." i laughed, and he looked at me, smiling. i noticed he said 'when we get rescued', and that filled me with hope, because simon is usually right.

"do you think, when we leave, we'll still all be friends? i mean - ralph, me, you, piggy..?" he asked.

"yeah. definitely. we've been through all this shit together." i nodded vigorously. he smiled.

suddenly, a high pitched scream sounded through out the island.

"monster!!" someone screamed loudly.

"shit. i'll see you later, si." i got up, kissing his cheek swiftly and legging it down the mountain. a littlun was at the bottom, crying.

"what? what is it?" i hurried over to him, tilting my head to see if he was hurt.

"there's a monster!! in the forest, and - and it chased me!!" he spluttered. i nodded slowly.

"i see." i said. "well-"

"what's this dumb shit i hear about a monster?" jack yelled behind me. i exhaled slowly and turned to look at him. his shorts were cuffed around his thighs, and he was covered in dirt, head to toe. a handmade necklace hung loosely around his neck.

"we're gonna have to send you back to kindergarten!" he spat.

"jack, he just got scared. it was probably just an animal, or something-" i got cut off again.

"no, i'm serious!! it was a monster." the littlun shook.

"ok, what kind of monster?" jack pressed. the littlun gulped, and i rubbed his shoulder soothingly. "did it have fur and poison fangs? or long, slimy tentacles?" jack teased.

"it growled. and it came out at me, with it's mouth. it was wet." the boy explained.

"maybe it was a bear?" i asked softly.

"more like a reptile." roger said behind me.

"sounds more like bullshit." jack said. i shook my head, and hugged the shivering littlun. he sobbed softly against me. jack huffed and stepped forwards.

"we'll go check it out." he said, his tone slightly less hostile. "c'mon, hunters." they marched off into the forest.

i sighed and stayed with the boy on the beach. i asked him questions to pass the time and to take his mind off of the thing in the cave, such as what his favourite book was or his favourite colour.

a while passed, before the boys came bolting out of the forest, panting and yelling.

"it's true!"
"i heard it growl."
"there's a beast in there!"
"he ain't lying!"

the boy started crying again and jack sat down next to me.

"really?" i asked him.

"what?!" he cocked his head back. "i heard it." the boy got up and scrambled away. i sighed.

"i don't think you did." i shook my head.

"you think i'm making it up?" he raised an eyebrow.

"yeah." i laughed harshly. "yeah, i do. to scare them."

"oh, fuck off." he muttered. "why would i do that?"

"because you're merridew! that's your job. to scare people. and to also be an asshole." i told him. he looked at me.

"i'm not an asshole to you, though." he said, his voice softer. i opened my mouth, and closed it again. "i'm not!"

"no, jack, you aren't." i shook my head softly, exhaling slowly. "why aren't you?" jack set his jaw.

"i-" he started, before cutting himself off. i raised my eyebrows at him. "i don't know." he concluded quietly.

i looked down at my lap.

"argh! it's because i like you, okay? i.. really like you." he said quickly, and i jerked my head up to look at him. he was biting down on his lip, and his eyes searched mine. i smiled slowly.

"oh, merridew. i like you too." i giggled softly, blushing. i turned my body to face him and we locked eyes. he placed a hand on my cheek, pulling me closer and pressing his lips to mine. it was like fireworks were set off in my stomach. i brushed the side of his neck with my fingers. he pulled away, and i laughed softly. he grinned.

"cute." he said softly. i rolled my eyes playfully and kissed him again.

ELLA SPEAKS!

omg it happened