nine

i woke up to the sound of the sea very close to my ear. i jolted back, sitting up quickly. it was day, and i was sat on a rock at the foot of castle rock. my head hurt. a lot. i winced, and tried to move my hand to the back of my head but i couldn't. i frowned, looking down at my hands to see my wrists tied together. my ankles were also tied with a thick layer of weeds and rope.

"what the fuck?" i tried to say, but my voice was muffled by a gag stuffed in my mouth. i cringed at the thought of what the material might be. i wriggled around, trying to get out. a stone hit the rock i was on, and i looked up. roger was sat up on the cliff, watching me. was he watching me while i was out cold?

"you won't be able to get out." he said. "so don't try."

i groaned and laid back on my rock.

it seemed like years passed before ralph and piggy arrived. i sat up eagerly. ralph quickly made his way over to me, in attempt to free me, but roger yelled at him and threw rocks at him until he backed away. i huffed.

"we- we wanna call a meeting! we've got the conch." ralph yelled up at him. "where's jack?"

jack. i wanted to see jack. i really, really wanted to see jack.

"what do you want now?" jack yelled at him, before noticing me. he furrowed his eyebrows, a look of clear confusion on his face. i raised my eyebrows. "why is sofi .. tied up?"

"mff rmmf mff mff fm fmm!" i tried to say, motioning at roger. jack looked up at roger.

"you did this?" he asked. roger nodded.

"yeah. i did." he said nonchalantly. jack shoved his stick on the ground and walked over to me, untying my ankles and my wrists. i watched him, biting the inside of my cheek. he took the gag out, hesitating by my face.

"we need to talk later." he told me. i simply nodded. he threw the gag down beside me, and i lost the glimmer of the jack i knew and loved.

"what did you say, ralph?" jack shouted, taking his place back at the stones. i realised they had all been watching us, and i gulped slightly, rubbing my now red wrists.

"argh! we've got the conch and we want an assembly." ralph repeated.

"why don't you two just fuck off? this is my end and my tribe. keep to your own end." jack shouted.

"you're the one who won't keep to your own end! tearing up our camp and stealing piggy's glasses. you've gotta give them back!" ralph argued.

"got to? who says?"

"i do!!" ralph shouted. i stood up, brushing the sand of the back of my thighs. "piggy can't see. if you wanted to have a fire all you had to do was ask!"

"i don't have to ask!" jack and ralph began to fight on the sand.

"this is fucking ridiculous." i muttered, watching them fight pathetically. the boys cheered loudly from the rocks. piggy blew on the conch and it sounded loudly. the boys stopped fighting and i ran a hand through my hair.

"i've got the conch. let me speak!!" piggy said. jack got up, stalking back to his tribe. i stood in between the two groups, on my rock.

"get outta here, piggy." maurice told him. roger started throwing rocks down at piggy.

"stop that roger, let piggy speak!" ralph yelled. someone wolf-whistled at him and i huffed, rubbing my face with my hands. i hated them together like this. i couldn't stand most of the boys on jack's tribe.

"listen, dickheads, you better let him speak or else i'll-"
"shut it, sofi, you're a girl! you don't get a say in this!"
"do you want a fucking fight? is that an attempt at being funny??"
"go back to your end, piggy!"
"yeah, shut your fat ass!"
"all i'm saying is, if we don't get rescued-"
"oh my god."
"fuck off, piggy!"
"we can't go on acting like kids!"